Skip to main content
Topic: MIDI Import Wizard Help problem (Beta 2.19) (Read 5905 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI Import Wizard Help problem (Beta 2.19)

Invoking File->Import... and then selecting a MIDI file brings up the MIDI Import Wizard.
On the Step 1: to Step 3: screens clicking on the ? Icon and then clicking on an item results in this popup:
Quote from: Windows Help
Cannot find the C:\Program Files\NoteWorthy Composer 2\nwc2.hlp file. Do you want to try to find his file yourself?
The Import Instruction popup (accessable from the Step 3: Add.. and Edit.. buttons) correctly uses nwc2help.chm except that many items just display the Introduction pane.

I'm using Win98SE.
Same problem on WinXP (Home Edition), except for a slightly different popup message from Windows Help
Registered user since 1996

Re: MIDI Import Wizard Help problem (Beta 2.19)

Reply #1
Thanks for the report. We are looking for a better solution for NWC Help, since Microsoft decided to drop standard support for WinHelp (an illogical decision by MS, in our view, since this is a format that they created).

Reply #2
How about a browser link, or embedded IE shell (although that could harm WINE compatibility)?

Reply #3
I like the idea of a browser link, but it wouldn't help those who aren't connected to the web.

I'm not sure what an embedded IE shell is.  Would it work if someone doesn't have Internet Explorer?

I guess a text file would work, perhaps plain text or rtf.  Not as elegant, but searchable.  A PDF file might work as well, as long as there is a table of contents that's clickable.  Acrobat Reader could then be used for it, on or offline, and AR has a decent search tool. 

Reply #4
Actually, David, browser links can go to a file residing on the user's computer. It's just that they use html or one of its descendents instead of the windows compiled help language, and users don't have to have two separate hypertext language interpretation programs on their machines. Abandonment of Windows Help has irritated me, too, but I see Microsoft's point.

Reply #5
I was just pointing out a small problem with the Wizard. The context help needs to reference an existing file. A few changes to the wizard and a few additions to nwc2help.chm should do the trick.

It was not my intent to initiate a discussion other than to have other Beta Testers confirm or deny the problem on other flavors of Windows. I might have accidentally deleted a a file, but since Support has acknowledged the report, I'm assuming I did not.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #6
An embedded IE shell would require Internet Explorer, but all Windows computers do have IE.  (I admit I'm not an IE fan, though.)  However, WINE doesn't.

Reply #7
Now that I know what an embedded IE shell is, I like the idea.  A webpage in html is just a text file with coding, so an html file could be used for Help.  Giving it a unique extension would allow the user to associate it with whichever browser is preferred.