Skip to main content
Topic: Printing several "songs" on one page (Read 11166 times) previous topic - next topic

Printing several "songs" on one page

I am wanting to print several short, single-stave " songs" (is there a better term?) on one page. The only approach I have found is to run them together on one stave and force a system break at the end of each song. That doesn't give me very good vertical separation of the songs. Can I force multiple system breaks without getting extaneous bar-lines, or is there some other method?

Re: Printing several "songs" on one page

Reply #1
Hi,

I think that currently the only way of doing this within noteworthy is to use digital "whiteout". In other words, you create blank bar(s) with white characters (symbol fonts such as webdings is good of this) You also create a invisible clef and keysignature to stop them from showing. (I would post an example, but I can't work out how)

There was a good thread on this, but I can't find it. I did find the following after a quick search, however.

https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=5985.0

Another way would be to create each song separately and put them together using a different program (i.e. publisher, word or any other editor that handles picture)

I hope that answers your question

Reply #2
Something like this perhaps?

I use this technique when separating things like treble and bass clef versions, or scale demo's etc. for the improv class I'm in.

The top section is taken from one piece and the bottom section from another so the scales don't match the music excerpt - this is a demo afterall :)

File is in 1.75c format
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
Note that it is required that a certain color be changed under Tools-Options.

Reply #4
... which Lawrie cleverly advertised in the example. "If you can read this..." and so forth.

Reply #5
Note that it is required that a certain color be changed under Tools-Options.
Wouldn't it be nice if NoteWorthy stored this info with the song instead of in the registry? Then it would work in the Viewer.

Separate palettes for edit and preview would be even better. Then you could see the whiteout to edit it.
An added bonus would be to kill the expression anchors and use the preview palette when playing.
Throw in a pause button and you'd really have something.      :)
Registered user since 1996

Reply #6
M2309 asked:
I am wanting to print several short, single-stave " songs" ...on one page. The only approach I have found is to run them together on one stave and force a system break at the end of each song. That doesn't give me very good vertical separation of the songs. Can I force multiple system breaks without getting extaneous bar-lines, or is there some other method?

Digital whiteout may be more elaborate than M2309 needs, if I understood the problem correctly.  If each song only takes up one system (in other words, one line ), all he or she may need to do is adjust the vertical spacing.

To do this, click on the staff, press F2 to get the properties dialogue window, select Visual.  The default sizes are 12 top and bottom, so increasing one or both will create a better vertical separation after each manual line break.

(edited to add an "if")

Reply #7
... which Lawrie cleverly advertised in the example. "If you can read this..." and so forth.
I know, but M2309 may have wanted more detail on how to do that.

Wouldn't it be nice if NoteWorthy stored this info with the song instead of in the registry? Then it would work in the Viewer.

Separate palettes for edit and preview would be even better. Then you could see the whiteout to edit it.
An added bonus would be to kill the expression anchors and use the preview palette when playing.
I concur.

Reply #8
Sorry kahman. You are right.

----
A pause button, and TWO resume buttons:
1 = start where I started last time
2 = go on where you left off.
Also, a "repeat highlighted at nauseam" would be veeeery nice. One of my fellow tenors always used Midi, because with Midi he can select a number of bars and hit "Play And Repeat". The Noteworthy Player (and indeed Noteworthy itself!) could do with such a feature.

Reply #9
G'day all,
I know, but M2309 may have wanted more detail on how to do that.

Good call kahman - I was being a little "focussed" and didn't think of that.

Hmm, yes I concur totally to the first.  As for the second I also agree, but perhaps a separate user pallette isn't needed as much as a "translucent" view of the palette in the editor - that way you can see what's behind any highlights - if anything.

Another alternative is for NWC to provide an additional option specifically for "digital whiteout" - probably not necessary really, we got 6 highlights in NWC2 after all...

M2309 asked:
Digital whiteout may be more elaborate than M2309 needs, I understood the problem correctly.  If each song only takes up one system (in other words, one line ), all he or she may need to do is adjust the vertical spacing.

To do this, click on the staff, press F2 to get the properties dialogue window, select Visual.  The default sizes are 12 top and bottom, so increasing one or both will create a better vertical separation after each manual line break.

Good call David, I was so fixated on the solution I was suggesting I forgot to "look at the trees"

<snip>
Also, a "repeat highlighted at nauseam" would be veeeery nice. One of my fellow tenors always used Midi, because with Midi he can select a number of bars and hit "Play And Repeat". The Noteworthy Player (and indeed Noteworthy itself!) could do with such a feature.

Lovely ideas Rob - especially "repeat highlighted at nauseam"

Buuuut, isn't resume button no. 1 the same functionality as "Play" ..?

Printing several "songs" on one page : Grateful thanks.

Reply #10
Thank you to everybody who took the time to reply. You have answered my query and more! And judging by the number of others who downloaded the examples before I even got back to read the replies you have helped more folk than you know (and then there are all the beginners in my wife's accordion class).  Mike

Reply #11
Too much clutter! Play and Pause are all you really need.

If there is a selection:
  Play starts at the beginning of the selection and loops at the selection end.
If there is no selection:
  Play starts at the cursor and continues to the end of the piece.
    ----  Unless ----
You hit play while the play button is down. This stops the piece and brings all buttons up
       -- or --
You hit pause. This pauses the piece until you hit pause again, bringing the pause button up.

In selection mode, all decorated barlines, flows and special endings are ignored.

I think I covered everything.

Reply #12
Rick:
Well put.
I did not mean to introduce another button for the loop - that would be clutter indeed.

Lawrie:
yes, button nr. 1 is F5. Already there. I just tried to sum things up.

Reply #13
quote author=David Palmquist link=topic=6153.msg41078#msg41078 date=1189932120]
M2309 asked:
Digital whiteout may be more elaborate than M2309 needs, I understood the problem correctly.  If each song only takes up one system (in other words, one line ), all he or she may need to do is adjust the vertical spacing.

Thanks for that  suggestion but some of the songs are several lines long so I do need the white on white invisible staff trick.

Mike

Reply #14
Sorry to drag this up again. I see from Lawrie's whiteout demo how a section of notation has been blanked out, but I can't get the staff to disappear. When I select the section I want to edit and go STAFF PROPERTIES etc the whole staff is affected not just the  selection.
Mike

Reply #15
Sounds like you are using Layering. If so, put the "whiteout text" on the lowest staff in the layer. Use print preview (rather than edit mode) to verify that the staff is actually hidden. When you are in edit mode, the staff the cursor is on will show even if a subsequent staff in the layer has "whiteout text" on it.

Reply #16
G'day Mike,
I'm not sure exactly what's going wrong for you...

No part of the staff is "hidden", rather sections of the staff are overlaid with white highlight blocks from Wingdings.  This includes the blank system between songs.

NWC processes notation objects from top to bottom and left to right.  As we are only interested in a single staff we only need to worry about the left to right bit.

For a song that takes up an entire system:
  • First, write the section to be seen at the top of the page, then on the last bar force a system break.
  • Put in a whole rest, a barline and force another system break.  You can use more than one bar with whole rests if it makes things easier for you.
  • Highlight everything after the first system break mentioned up to and including the last barline in the section to be masked and set their properties to visibility - never.
  • Now, place a text object that is right justified and placed at next note/bar that contains a series of <g> characters from a user font set to Wingdings Webdings at a size slightly greater than the staff size - you'll need to experiment a little here I think - immediately before the system break barline you just hid.
  • Immediately after that text object place another that contains just one <g> but is centre justified at next note/bar.

The first text object hides the staff from the left margin and almost up to the right margin - can't quite get it all the way.  The second one finishes the job off.  It is very important that both text objects are immediately before the system break barline of the staff they are masking.

The only part that actually NEEDS to be visibility - never is the system break barline that defines the end of the staff to be hidden - I set the rest to visibility - never as well to help me keep track.

Hope this clears things up a bit...

<edit> forgot to mention - the masking text entries should be set to NOT preserve width...

<edit> please note the font change - should have been WEBDINGS, not wingdings