Skip to main content
Topic: MIDI volume level being raised? (Read 9938 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI volume level being raised?

I've noticed that NWC seems to be raising the MIDI volume in volume control lately.  I don't like loudness, so I typically keep the volume very low, but I often have to lower the volume.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Re: MIDI volume level being raised?

Reply #1
The latest NWC2 release detects are very low or muted condition on the MIDI Mapper device, and will bring the volume up. This is intended to compensate for the Media Player leaving the device at 0 volume. Perhaps this mechanism needs some tweaking or user control...

Reply #2
Yes, it could be nice to have an option of a box that would say "Would you like to raise your MIDI volume?", but if you ask me, automatically increasing volume seems a bit too much.

Reply #3
I would say that the reverse is also true with regard to Media Player, but sadly that is exactly what it does.

Reply #4
I hadn't really paid much attention, but I think I may have been adjusting my Windows volume control downwards during playback. 

I don't want any surprises.  If I'm notating my heart out far into the wee hours, the cat will hiss and scratch, the dog will bark, and Sweet Domestic Authority will kill me, or at least banish me from the bedroom for weeks upon hearing a blast.

If we must have an automatic increase in volume, I'd prefer it to be very, very minor.  Perhaps it can be an options setting?

Reply #5
We already have MIDI all the way up so not a problem over here.
Now if only we could get the RealPlayer to stop raising the wave volume...

Reply #6
Since the popup idea hs been nixed, perhaps the MIDI tab of Tools->Options... could include 4 boxes for Volume: Main Left/Right, MIDI Left/Right and a checkbox to "Use values on start-up".

Idealy, values would be used at the start of playback and the original values restored when playback ends, but this may not be feasable due to interaction with other programs.

Setting the values when NWC2 is loaded (or the first time playback is initiated) would be simpler and more predictable. I think this would solve most problems.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
It seems that the idea was to counteract the automatic zero volume set by the Media Player. It's probably best not to get too complicated here. If the initial volume on start up is automatically set somewhere below the medium range, or even within the low range, that would avoid all those inquiries having to do with playback problems without annoying everyone else. I don't think that the program should adjust the volume after it has been initialized and set by the user.

Reply #8
FWIW, I never use m$ media player to play MIDI so I don't have the "can't hear NWC" problem.

However I do use other MIDI players, like Van Basco's, and given that I'm in an environment that needs fairly low volume levels to avoid annoying other people I don't really like the idea of having my MIDI volume automatically adjusted at all - I have things set just how I like 'em.

I am concerned that my carefully arranged balance between Wave, MIDI, CD audio and Line-In could get stuffed up.

Now, that said, I still don't have the problem of NWC adjusting my MIDI levels 'cos my MIDI slider is about halfway up anyhow and so NWC seems to be leaving it alone.

My AUD $0.02...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #9
I agree with those who think NWC should leave the MIDI volume alone and not try to compensate for another program's stupidity. One of my pet peeves is programs that think they know better than I do how I want my computer to be set up, and change things around without asking me first. There is also a practical problem. I use speakers about 2/3 of the time, headphones the other 1/3. My headphones are much more sensitive than my speakers, so the volume level has to be set considerably lower to avoid blasting my eardrums into my head. If NWC decides I've set it too low, and raises it.....well, you can see what the consequences might be.

Bottom line, here: swearing at Media Player is not a good reason to set up NWC so we feel like swearing at it, too.

Reply #10
This would be true if people were swearing at Media Player. Unfortunately, many are swearing at NWC, since it is where people find out that they do not have any play back volume. They do not realize that the problem was caused by Media Player.

We will come up with something better (some kind of user control).

Reply #11
Thank you.  I normally use headphones, and do not enjoy suddenly being blasted at at a high volume, it can be quite painful.
For most users, how it currently is is fine, but there are other people.
Thank you again.

Reply #12
I second Kahman's thank you.

Reply #13
My speakers already have a volume control on them as well as a place to plug in headphones.  My problem is the "SW Synth" volume gets turned all the way down by something and NWC falls silent.  Perhaps something to check on that as NWC gets started?!?
Since 1998

Reply #14
There currently is a "feature" that has NWC check on that exactly as you say, and it automatically raises the volume.  What I started this topic to complain about is exactly what you are suggesting, which is already in reality, and blasts the volume loudly, as I keep my volume quite low.

Reply #15
How about simply giving the user a warning message when the 0 volume condition is detected? Something like:

"WARNING: Your computer's sound may be set too low to hear playback."

A link to a help topic on how to set the Windows volume control might be provided, along with a "don't show this again" check box for those who don't want to be nagged by warning messages during startup. Would anyone out there object to this?

Reply #16
Now that's using your noodle!

Reply #17
One of my pet peeves is programs that think they know better than I do how I want my computer to be set up, and change things around without asking me first.
Me, too!
Vista seems to do this a lot, and I've had cameras and other electronics do that also.
"The Masses" aren't too smart, so electronics companies seem to want to make things easier for them by making everything automatic, which really gets in my way sometimes...

Reply #18
Me, too!
<snip>... which really gets in my way sometimes...

Uh huh - I even hate automatic transmissions in cars - gimme a me a manual (stick shift for the Americans amongst us) every time. 

I hate having stuff decide what's best for me, like "traction control" - if the back wheels are spinnin' it's a reasonable assumption that's my intention - guess it's that "control freak" part of my nature ;)

Reply #19
I appreciate user controllable features and options, but have you ever noticed they're usually expressed in incomprehensible terms that give you results you don't expect or want?

Reply #20
Well, that's what I would want, but as Rick said, it was decided that
This is also when he added the automatic deletion that I hadn't noticed that much.

Reply #21
OT
Most Americans I know call them "standard (transmissions)."  I say "manual," while a few others I know say "stick shift."
My car doesn't come with the option of automatic or manual, just automatic.  So the standard transmission for my car is automatic.

Reply #22
And for those of us who grew up with the steering-column shift levers, "stick-shift" designated an on-the-floor lever (considered very old fashioned, execept in trucks).

Reply #23
G'day Cyril,
And for those of us who grew up with the steering-column shift levers, "stick-shift" designated an on-the-floor lever (considered very old fashioned, execept in trucks).

True, but I'd hate to try and figure out my 6 speed "on the tree" - much better on the floor!