Skip to main content
Topic: suggestion: flexible defaults (Read 13769 times) previous topic - next topic

suggestion: flexible defaults

As I work on a piano score where I have to enter dynamics in the LH stave and then make them invisible - over and over - it occurs to me that it would help a lot if I could temporarily reset the default visibility for dynamics to "top stave only." I can also think of some other situations where being able to reset a default to a different vaule would speed the work flow tremendously. Seems like a relatively simple feature to add. Does this make sense to the rest of you?

Re: suggestion: flexible defaults

Reply #1
How is your option "Smart Properties Insert" currently set (from Tools, Options, Editor)?

Reply #2
I thought this would resolve the issue, Eric, but when I go to enter a dynamic, its visibility properties are not available.  The window for d (dynamic) only allows you to choose which dynamic, in a selection window misnamed "style." 

To select the visibility, I had to enter the dynamic, then edit its properties.

I next entered a note, pressed d for dynamic again, and entered the same dynamic.  Its visibility property remained at default.

If you can give us the visibility choices on the initial entry of the dynamic, I think the smart properties feature should work, and it would be a great idea.

Reply #3
To select the visibility, I had to enter the dynamic, then edit its properties.
I started with a blank score, hit d (for dynamic), clicked on the Visibility tab, Selected "Top Staff Only", then OK

Then I added a staff, hit d (for dynamic), then <enter>. Got:
|Dynamic|Style:mp|Pos:0|Visibility:TopStaff

What am I missing? Isn't this the way it is supposed to work?
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
It seem works to fine from my point of view, provided you use the <d> command to insert the dynamic, and not the button on the toolbar...

If you use the toolbar button, it doesn't remember the visibility from the last dynamic, use the <d> command from the keyboard and it does.  As it does if you use the menus...

My "Smart Properties Insert" is off...

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
If you use the toolbar button, it doesn't remember the visibility from the last dynamic
That explains it. I seldom use the "Fast Insert" buttons. Waste of screen space, IMHO.

Reply #6
G'day William,
forgot to mention in my previous post.  Assuming you are using NWC2 (this is the NWC2 discussion) then a user tool can fix it for you.

Again, assuming you have installed the User Tool Starter Kit: http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwc2/usertools then Andrew's "Global Modification" can fix it for you...

• Select the staff (or portion thereof) to be fixed
  • Press <Alt-F8>
  • Select "Global Modification (adp)" and press <Enter> or click Run
  • Overwrite the "Help" default with "Dynamic Visibility=TopStaff" (without the quotes)
  • Watch the case AND the spacing - these commands and their parameters are case sensitive!
  • Press <Enter> or click OK
  • voila

Reply #7
Ah-hah!   Rick wrote:
I started with a blank score, hit d (for dynamic), clicked on the Visibility tab, Selected "Top Staff Only", then OK    Then I added a staff, hit d (for dynamic), then <enter>. Got: 
|Dynamic|Style:mp|Pos:0|Visibility:TopStaff
What am I missing? Isn't this the way it is supposed to work?

I figured there must be something different in our intallations, so I looked into my Tools/Options/Editor and found I had Persistent Note Tools and Smart Properties Insert checked.  Turns out that Smart Properties Insert checked results in no choices when I use the hotkey <d>.  Uncheck it, and you get the choices.

Reply #8
Smart Properties Insert checked results in no choices when I use the hotkey <d>.
It should really be Quick Insert. I tried it for a while,  but it seldom did what I needed. Being smart doesn't make it clairvoyant.

Reply #9
I have "smart insertion point" checked. I use the toolbar button to insert the dynamic (my use of the machine is very mouse-oriented, so it's easier for me to do that). And Lawrie is right - if you use the button, the program doesn't remember the visibility setting for the dynamic. Maybe all we need is a fix for that.

Reply #10
If you use the quick insert tools, the setting for Smart Insertion Point doesn't matter (it is always enabled in this case). At the moment, the visibility settings are always defaulted upon quick insert. Would it be more preferable to everyone if the visibility status of the prior similar item was used?

Reply #11
Would it be more preferable to everyone if the visibility status of the prior similar item was used?
I think the current method is preferable for new users.
Experienced users tend to use the keyboard.

I could recommend some changes to the defaults. Here or in a new thread?

Reply #12
I concur with Rick.

Reply #13
I'm a keyboard user too.  I use the mouse as an accessory, but the keyboard is my primary input.

I don't think I want the default in the dynamic entry to be the same as the preceding one.  Usually I'm inserting a dynamic to change the previous one.

I don't consciously use the Smart Insertion or the Persistent Note options.  I find myself tweaking things all the time, but don't find it to be a problem.

Reply #14
Since 1998

Reply #15
Experienced users tend to use the keyboard.

But that's precisely not the point. I use a combination of keyboard and mouse, and the quick inserts for dynamics are very useful.

Yes please, I'd love the new dynamic to  inherit all the characteristics of the previously inserted one on that staff.

Reply #16
Vertical position and horizontal alignment always need to be fiddled with.  If my note is 3 leger lines below the staff, I want a right aligned dynamic positioned lower than the note.  If the note is within or above the staff, I'm happy to have the dynamic just below the staff, and left aligned "at next note."  Inheriting the characteristics of the previous dynamic will be inconvenient, so if we get the feature, I want a way to toggle it off.

Reply #17
I guess I count myself an experienced user, having used (and loved) NWC since the mid-90s, back when it was only a little baby program with a whole lot of potential. I use a mix of keyboard and mouse - keyboard to insert notes, rests and bars; mouse to do nearly everything else. That pattern hasn't changed much over the years. I suspect that keyboard/mouse use habits depend more on individual quirks than on levels of experience.

I have mixed feelings about defaulting the attributes of each new dynamic to the previous dynamic in the same staff. It's done partially now (vertical position and justification), and it can get annoying when you want something different - but it can also be useful when you have to add a bunch of dynamics that belong in the same relative position on the staff. I think that overall it might be better if the visibility attribute were set in the same way as the vertical position and justification attributes, but I still think it would be better to have a user-changeable, overrideable default for each staff, even if it reset to the factory default every time the program was restarted.

And by the way, regarding the "top staff only" visibility attribute: I write a fair amount of vocal music, where the top staff of the piano is actually the middle staff of the score. The "top staff only" attribute is pretty useless there. Again, a user-changeable default would be a better solution.

Reply #18
A modest change in this area appears in Beta 2.18.

Reply #19
I like it! It vastly speeds up the addition of dynamics to a piano score. Thanks for the quick work!