Skip to main content
Topic: Another one (Read 8205 times) previous topic - next topic

Another one

I am putting 'Take 5' into NWC in Ebm ( as written ) and transposing so my band can play it in Gm. After I put it into NWC, I transposed using the Staff Properties/Midi/Tranposition. The pitch changed, but the music notation didn't. Is there a way I can get the whole staff to transpose, including the new key signature?

Thanks,

John

Re: Another one

Reply #1
Another answer for you...

Tools> Transpose Staff.  If you want to hear it in the new key, then uncheck the box.

By the way, I love that song!

Reply #2
Duh...thanks, Bob.

BTW, we're doing it in a medley with the Beatles 'Things We Said Today'.

John

Reply #3
Yeah, figures....I can only help with the easy questions.  lol.  Glad to help.  Have fun with the jazz gigs!

Reply #4
Hey John,
One of my faves too. How about posting it for us? Or maybe on the Scripto? My son (the drummer) is totally into Buddy Rich. I ought to learn it so we can play together.

Reply #5
Hey John,
One of my faves too. How about posting it for us? Or maybe on the Scripto? My son (the drummer) is totally into Buddy Rich. I ought to learn it so we can play together.

Chances are, it's copyrighted material.  Punching a song into Noteworthy is somewhat borderlined, but distributing it for free probably crosses an international law or two.

Reply #6
Didn't think of that. The song is probably 40 years old, but I suppose the copyright could have been renewed. Don't want to infringe.

Reply #7
70 years is a safe age for "end of copyright".
The newsgroup sometimes has posts with copyrighted material, with the connotation "strictly for your own personal enjoyment". The Internet is not quite the place.
Infringement, how right you are:

"Though the Barrister tried to appeal to its pride,
        And vainly proceeded to cite
A number of cases, in which making laces
        Had been proved an infringement of right."

(could not resist)
cheers,
Rob.

Reply #8
Didn't think of that. The song is probably 40 years old, but I suppose the copyright could have been renewed. Don't want to infringe.

If it's a medley, then it's likely a tribute, written several years later.

Also, I could be wrong, but I was thinking the musical copyrights last 60 years.

Reply #9
In Canada it's 50 years after the death of the last author.  So for an Ellington/Miley composition published in 1928, even though Miley died around 1931 or 1932, the copyright ends in 2024, the 50th year after Duke died.

George Gershwin's music is public domain in Canada, so is that of Fats Walller, Jelly Roll Morton, and, if he wrote any originals, Glenn Miller. 

The American laws are quite different, and I believe they extend to either 70 or 95 years after death. 

Other countries have their own laws.  I'm not sure if the entire European Community shares one rule, or if they differ from country to country.  Other nations have their own rules too, and of course, everything is subject to treaty.

In Canada, by treaty, we grant the same copyright protection to residents of other treaty countries as we do to ourselves people, so the Canadian rule applies here for the Americans I named. 

Reply #10
I've done some research.  As of 1998, the US says that anything before 1978 is "Life + 70 years" and anything after 1978 is "Life + 95 years".

The current public domain in the US is if the author died before 1948, since that was the last year not covered by the new law.  In 2029, the music by authors dying before 1949 will be open to the public domain (That is when it will catch up.)

Reply #11
It's more complicated than that, isn't it?  If the composer copyrighted a piece in 1908 and died in 1950, what would the duration be in the US?  If he renewed the copyright in 1923 or if he didn't?  What if he composed a piece in 1946 and died in 1948?

Anyway, I'm just fiddling around with the subject, and my questions are more rhetorical than serious. 

Reply #12
It's more complicated than that, isn't it?  If the composer copyrighted a piece in 1908 and died in 1950, what would the duration be in the US?  If he renewed the copyright in 1923 or if he didn't?  What if he composed a piece in 1946 and died in 1948?

Anyway, I'm just fiddling around with the subject, and my questions are more rhetorical than serious. 

If he died in 1950, his 1908 piece would be covered by the new "Life + 70" law.  As for the years of 1948 and 1978...I'm not sure what day of the year is the cutoff.  Just don't use any music by a composer who died in 1948 until 2029 and don't use any music by a composer who died in 1978 until 2069, and you should be safe.

Edit: and the renewal in 1923...don't you think he would have renewed it again in 1953? :)

Reply #13
don't you think he would have renewed it again in 1953?

Both my hypothetical composers died before 1953, so, no, they wouldn't have (but maybe their estates would have).

The reason I mentioned 1923 is that there was some discussion either in this forum or a discussion list I belong to about copyright lapsing when the American law was amended that year.  If that happened, then it wouldn't matter if the composer lived forever, the work would still be out of copyright.  I don't know if the Bono amendments changed that.

The US is not my country, and I'm not that certain about its laws.  The Library of Congress webpage is a great resource on this subject, fortunately.

Looks as if you've been having a tremendous amount of fun the past day or two, exploring NWC and its potential. 

Reply #14
In Canada, by treaty, we grant the same copyright protection to residents of other treaty countries as we do to ourselves people, so the Canadian rule applies here for the Americans I named.

David, How did Canada get away with it?

In Australia we entered into a Free trade Agreement with USA and were bullied into adopting the US <70 + years> time frame for American authors! :(

Reply #15
The reason I mentioned 1923 is that there was some discussion either in this forum or a discussion list I belong to about copyright lapsing when the American law was amended that year.  If that happened, then it wouldn't matter if the composer lived forever, the work would still be out of copyright.  I don't know if the Bono amendments changed that.

I wasn't aware of this...I'd have to do some research.  Of course, it's kind of like knocking on wood that the copyright laws haven't been around for [eternity.

Looks as if you've been having a tremendous amount of fun the past day or two, exploring NWC and its potential. 
More so the forum, and I enjoy these deep discussions.  It's comforting to see regular members in a forum, which means what you say will actually be heard.

Yeah, I've been using NWC for as long as I can remember...I think it's been at least 10 years or so.  The reason I've suddenly become involved with these discussions is because I've been using it pretty much nonstop at home this weekend, as I work to transcribe all of the viola music for third violin.  (I believe transcribe is the correct word, since it's staying in the same instrument key of C).  Our violist in the quartet is leaving, and there aren't any good violists in the area anymore, so we're going to find a third violin instead, which should be far easier!  Good violists just don't seem to exist... :(

Sorry, I'm from the orchestra...violas get all the flack, since the viola is the most difficult instrument to play...so difficult that it takes a lot of practice to master the basic physical requirements involved in stretching from note to note, reaching the fingerboard, bowing straight, et cetera.  The violin is actually said to be moderately difficult to master the basic physical requirements (even though it seems so complicated).  Horns must also be difficult, because they get a lot of flack, too.  And drummers?  Well...we won't go there as to why they get flack....  I think the conductor's/concertmaster's flack is obvious...I should know, this is my second time as concertmaster, and it's hard to please everyone.

btw, if anyone's interested, I've found a collection of instrument/conductor jokes, and there are three full web pages full of viola jokes.

Reply #17
As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years. For an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first.
So if you're a composer, and you just wrote something, and you want to make sure your brother's grandkids don't steal it, publish it anonymously and commit suicide. :) (Please, don't, by the way...!!!)

Reply #18
Hmmm.  Hypothetically:

You are born to a 14 year old mother.  She gives birth to your brother when she's 44, not at all impossible with the recent advances in reproductive technology.  So your brother is 30 years your junior.  He fathers twins who are born when he's 55 - quite possible, poor fella.  Your great-nieces/nephews are 85 years younger than you. 

You write music when you're 20, but it isn't published until you're 25, at which time it's published under the pseudonym Bob the Deranged Arranger.  It will be in the public domain when you reach 120 (gerontology being what it is, it may be possible). 

The twins will only be 35.  Bet they won't be happy if they expected to inherit the copyright from you!   

If you want to see an interesting example of how complicated copyright law can be, take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Birthday_to_You#.22Happy_Birthday_to_You.22_copyright_status

ing I live in the US).  My brother is 25 years younger than me.  It's possible with modern reproductive technology.Lots of people live to be a hundred these days.  So if my brother's grandchildren do, it's conceivable they could steal my music

Reply #19
Thanks for the laugh! :)