Skip to main content
Topic: Newbie question... triplets and other xxxlets (Read 3330 times) previous topic - next topic

Newbie question... triplets and other xxxlets

Hi,

I'm very new to this.. in fact this is my first post here.

I've entered a few very simple tunes in NWC 1.75 and decided to have a go at something a little more "challenging". This morning I started on Beethoven's Op.33 No.1 "Seven Bagatelles". It's in 6/8 time.

In the 5th bar I come across a sequence like this... 6 x 1/16 notes beamed... 2 x 1/16 note triplets... OK so far, that's 5 beats... and then there are 5 x 1/32 notes beamed that take the final beat in the bar and are marked with a small 5 under them. Is this a "pentuplet"? How do I handle this? It's totally messed up my bar alignment.

thanks in advance
Don

Re: Newbie question... triplets and other xxxlets

Reply #1
G'day Don,
yep, it's a pentuplet
nope, NWC doesen't handle it natively
yep, there are work arounds, but I'm out of time this morning to chase 'em up for you.

If you do a search on the forum for n-tuplets you should find all kinds of good info.  IIRC there is something in the "Tips and Tricks" board...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
thanks Lawrie... I'll look there. I tried searching before posting my question, but I guess that I didn't phrase the search properly

Don

Reply #3
n-tuplets are a nightmare for the mathematically challanged. I wish we didn't have to figure them out. Luckily I haven't actually had to employ any that weren't triplet divisible but I know that the day will come sooner or later. Somehow I thought that computers could do all that computing stuff automatically. I know it's been on the wish list for some time. Who knows, maybe someday!

Reply #4
How do I handle this? It's totally messed up my bar alignment.

In the other staffs, just add a 1/32 note rest to the end of the bar, set to Visibility = Never.  This will align the bars for you. 

Playback can be fiddled with if you insert a tempo change just before the pentuplet, and put the original tempo back just after it.

To make the playback work, you need to increase the tempo by mulitiplying the original tempo by the number of notes you're playing in the figure, divided by the number of notes they replace. 

To play five 32nds in the time of four 32nds, you need to insert a new tempo of 5/4 of your original.  If you started with an 8th note = 120, your new tempo would be 150.  Immediately after the target notes, just insert the original tempo again.  Make sure the two tempos you added are invisible.

Hope this helps, and I hope I got the formula right.  I'm falling asleep as I type.

Reply #6
Thanks everyone,

Warren, I found your posts on n-tuples. Thank you! It think it will help, but as fitzclan says... they are a nightmare.

I'm am still very new at all this so I guess I'd better just work on a fragment until I get it right. I'm still struggling with this visible/invisible thing so that's not really intuitively obvious to me either :-)

David thanks for the idea of "invisible rests"... I'll try that.

thanks
Don