Skip to main content
Topic: Inversion? (Read 20940 times) previous topic - next topic

Inversion?

Greetings,

I seem to remember  a user tool (I thought it was Global Mod) allowing one to invert a selection of notes.  I know I'm not thinking of the retrograde tool, but something that inverted.  Is my memory bad, or my imagination too good?

Robin

Re: Inversion?

Reply #1
I also remember reading about an Inversion tool but I have not found it (or any evidence of it) anywhere.  Maybe someone was thinking of creating one but hasn't completed it yet.  I have not found any evidence of that thread either...

Reply #2
What do you want the tool to do? Invert a melody line around a given note or invert a chord?
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
I remember a command line for Global Mod being shown as an example at one stage - don't remember where but it basically multiplied the Pos by -1...

Note Pos*=-1

This will invert around the centre line of the staff, 'B' on a treble staff...  If you want to invert around another note you need to be a little more creative...

Easiest way I can think of is to move everything up or down till the centre line is the middle of the inversion you want, multiply by -1 and reposition the selection back to where it started...

E.G if you wanted to invert around a treble D, lower everything by '2', multiply by '-1' and move everything back up by '2'

Note Pos-=2 Note Pos*=-1 Note Pos+=2

Note that case and spaces are significant!

Chords will take a little more thought...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
On the Scritporium http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html
The is a utility of mine MIDIExp which can Invert, mirror and pitch expand around a given note.
It's a DOS program for QBasic but there is an exe file converted by the Late Fred Nachbaur that will run stand alone (with BRUN45 support).
It require a MIDI file exported from NWC as the inout file for conversion.
Because it's DOS the file name cannot exceed 8 characters.

Reply #5
I remember a command line for Global Mod being shown as an example at one stage - don't remember where but it basically multiplied the Pos by -1...[snip]
Chords will take a little more thought...
Global Mod should cover simple melodies. I gave the chords a little thought, see: Chord Inversion Tool
Registered user since 1996

Reply #6
I remember using a tool that did inversions, and I am sure that it was in an earlier incarnation of Global Mod.  This would be some time ago (a year, year and a half), but I do remember it.

Reply #7
G'day Robin,

I remember using a tool that did inversions, and I am sure that it was in an earlier incarnation of Global Mod.  This would be some time ago (a year, year and a half), but I do remember it.

My reply (3) above gives examples of the Global Mod commands required...  They work, I tested before posting.

Reply #8
Lawrie,

Thanks.  I'll give it a go.  Not today, though, as I'm feeling rotten (some sort of virus has me by the throat).

Robin

Reply #9
Lawrie,

Feeling better.  And, it worked with charm-like perfection.  Thanks, mate.

Robin

Reply #10
G'day Robin,
glad you're feeling better, and glad the Global Mod stuff was what you needed.

Lawrie