Skip to main content
Topic: 'forced break' not working for me (Read 7200 times) previous topic - next topic

'forced break' not working for me

Any help on breaking the single long SATB system to put on one page?
so close and yet so far!....from printing. New to this and now frustrated, as I want to transfer my chicken scratch to something legible.
Thanks

Re: 'forced break' not working for me

Reply #1
On the top staff, put a bar line where you want the break.  Make the bar-line invisible, and make it a force-break.  This will muck up your auto bar numbering, if you use it.  Don't Audit Barlines on that staff ever again.

If you think you might need Audit Barlines, try this instead:  Add a new staff.  Move it to the top.  Fill it with invisible rests and bar lines.  Layer it with the next staff.  Continue as above.

Reply #2
i'm feeling pretty stupid but I can't get it.
make bar line invisible?
and when I click 'ok' with a 'force system break' checked, should something move on it's own and line up under first system?
hmmmm...

Reply #3
No - it doesn't
What you should realise is that what you see in the editor is NOT what is printed out when you press print.
The editor is not WYSIWYG.

To see how it looks when you print, press the print preview icon. That's the icon that looks like a sheet of paper with a magnifying glass in front.

When you use the force system break - it doesn't change the appearance in the editor - but it tells the print preview to force a return at that point.  So if in the print preview, you see that the first page has 5 measures in the first system, but you actually only want four, then by using the force system break on the very top barline inbetween measures 4 and 5, then you can force a break at that point.

Rich.

Reply #4
I must say that this misunderstanding is quite common.  It could possibly be a good idea to post this as a "Frequently Asked Question" section.

Reply #5
Make the bar-line invisible, and make it a force-break.  This will muck up your auto bar numbering, if you use it.  Don't Audit Barlines on that staff ever again.
make bar line invisible?

I'm not sure why you'd want to make the bar line invisible, but if you want to, just highlight it, then press Control-E, Notation Properties/Visibility=Never.

The forced system break is an attribute of the top visible staff only - you can put it on various staffs, and whichever ones are active, the top one is the one that works.  When the attribute is set, there will be a faint paragraph symbol above it - the backwards p.

This will muck up your auto bar numbering, if you use it.  Don't Audit Barlines on that staff ever again.
Shouldn't muck up the numbering.  Just set the Bar Line property to Exclude from Bar Count.

Reply #6
well, so great that there are such willing helpers.
Thanks all so far. will be braving my file again today to see if I can get what I want!

more to follow I'm sure.

Reply #7
I'm not sure why you'd want to make the bar line invisible, but if you want to, just highlight it, then press Control-E, Notation Properties/Visibility=Never.

My misunderstanding of the OP's question.  I thought it was something like Gregorian Chant, with 87½ quarter notes to the bar, that needed to wrap on the printed page.

I also should have said to put invisible bar lines on all the other staves too.  And I remembered about the "Exclude from Bar Count", but too late - you've given the answer much quicker.

Reply #8
Regular NoteWorthy users will search in vain for Exclude from Bar Count as it is a NoteWorthy 2 feature.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #9
Regular NoteWorthy users will search in vain for Exclude from Bar Count as it is a NoteWorthy 2 feature.

My bad, as they say.  I never think about which forum I'm in, since I only come in through the show unread messages feature.  However, this is one more reason for all the NWC 1.75 users to check out the version 2 preview.  Has anyone seen how it comes out when created in version 2 but exported tp version 1?

I thought it was something like Gregorian Chant, with 87½ quarter notes to the bar, that needed to wrap on the printed page.

My bad, again.