Skip to main content
Topic: Vocaloid - Voice Synthesiser (Read 6252 times) previous topic - next topic

Vocaloid - Voice Synthesiser

Does anyone know any software that will synthesize voice with lyrics from a NWC file, like Vocaloid, but at a more affordable price?

Re: Vocaloid - Voice Synthesiser

Reply #1
Hello llucyy
You could try mellody assistanr'harmony assistant by myriad
which as a extension caled vertual singer but i don't think the
quality is  as good the demo is freely downloadble from the myriad site john

Reply #2
Over to you, Graham - Ha Ha

Regarding the original question, there are a number of free GNU projects involved around speech synthesis.
Just try Googling, there are plenty of hits.

I can't say i've had any experience of them, but i have had some fun copying and pasting edits from searches put into speegle www.speegle.co.uk

Wow, you could even do a search for voice synthesisers using speegle . . .

Reply #3
The thing is, do you want just a "voice" sound or for the actual words to be pronounced and sung? That is going to be difficult with any small and inexpensive  program

Reply #4
Google for the program called Flinger.  It's a free singing synthesizer.

Reply #5
If you get "Flinger" (by invitation only, as they say), you will discover that: (1) It is a command-line program, with no graphical user interface; (2) It comes without any sort of installation instructions, description, usage, or help file. Zero. Zip. Nada. (3) Its usage is NOT self-explanatory, not even to someone whose knowledge is enough to spell most words correctly on this forum, and who knows how to use command-line programs. (4) If there is any sort of user group, it apparently consists of academic researchers in one or two universities, most of whom may have moved on to other things (judging by the modification date of files).

Forget it!

Reply #6
I have Flinger . It's very easy.  There's a batch file that comes with it, make a copy and edit it so that it plays the midi of your choice and remove. (The batch file is commented.)

Then you never need to touch the .bat file again. Everything else you can just do in Noteworthy. It reads the lyrics from the MIDI and sings the notes.

Reply #7
For a very limited time only (I will remove it before the end of July, 2005) here is the NWC demo "Jingle Bells" sung by the above-mentioned Flinger. I did not attempy to correct the pronunciation, but it can be done - so don't hold that against the software:

http://www.icogitate.com/~ergosum/temporary/jbflinger.mp3

Reply #8
I've just downloaded Flinger. Can someone confirm it sings one part only? Even though I copied the lyrics for "Happy Birthday" to all four parts in my satb, it ignored 2,3 and 4.
Has anyone tried Harmony Assistant for voice synth?

Reply #9
Hi linlin, yes I've used Harmony Assistant and made learning CDs many times and will continue to. There are limitations. Pronunciation can be tricky. Sometimes you have to change the NWC Lyrics to phonetic ones .
I haven't played arround much with formants etc, there are a lot of places to experiment. Also when you save(Export) the NWC as Midi it does not bring fermatas etc. so if you want a hold you have to change the NWC file by adding extra value notes or rests instead of other breath marks or holds. You also have to Edit the voices and be careful of which Octave they are singing. ie frequently in SATB writing the Tenor is written in treble clef and if you don't put the little 8 - as in Octave down when placing the clefs on the NWC file your Tenor will be singing too high and you must change the octave in the Harmony Assistant Edit.