Skip to main content
Topic: Wish: connecting bars between Lower- /Upper grand staff and orchestral (Read 5210 times) previous topic - next topic

Wish: connecting bars between Lower- /Upper grand staff and orchestral

Ifeel a bit frustrated when I want to make groups of instruments under NWC/NWC2 because I can't make the bars connect together.

When I give the Orchestral style for different staves, the bars get connected together between staves.

When I make a piano part, using Upper grand staff and Lower grand staff, bars gets also connected together between staves.

But when I maxe a mix - let's say for SATB, if I try to give the soprano Upper grand staff, the bass Lower grand staff, no configuration permits me to have bars connected for the Alt and Tenor staves. I think giving them Orchestral style could make bars connected upper and lower...

Re: Wish: connecting bars between Lower- /Upper grand staff and orchestral

Reply #1
Joining SATB with a Brace is a bit non-standard, but if you must have it, the attachment shows how.  There are numerous ways to hide the rests if you don't want to see them in the Editor.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
To allow groupings within a score, set each group to orchestral, but separate them with an extra staff that is set to standard.  Then just layer this under the last staff of the group.  Give it an open ending, and that should do the trick.  Your brace at the beginning of the page will stay unaltered, but the extra staff breaks the orchestral connections between the last staff of one group and the first of the next group.  You may want to fiddle a bit with the vertical height, but that only takes a couple of tries.

Reply #3
Is there a way to get the orchestral thick bar at the start to reflect the groupings - that is, to curl back in at the bottom of a group rather than at the bottom of all staves or not at all?

Reply #4
nineworlds: no. No one has figured out how.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
Is this what you're looking for?

Reply #6
Most likely that's what nineworlds is looking for.  It's what I once asked for help with, and I've seen it in numerous scores.
[Looks at picture again with envy.]

Reply #7
Yes, K.A.T., that's it. Has this actually been done in NWC, or is that a mock-up?

- Iain.

Reply #8
Alas, it's only a model.
I've been trying to do this for some time - put it in the wish list and everything.
There was a longish thread about it once before (probrbly before version 2 was announced), with enough of us demonstrating its value/necessity that I thought version 2 would implement it.
I was hoping for something like this: