Skip to main content
Topic: Bug in default folders config (Read 4689 times) previous topic - next topic

Bug in default folders config

Hi all,

I just understood why at some times, NWC2 told me it was unable to save my work, whereas I didn't ask him anything.
In fact, I use a nonprivileged account to compose on WindowsXP (when I'm not on Linux, of course ;-)) and therefore, I'm not authorized to write under c:\Program Files.
So the autosave function fails, of course.

Perhaps using another default folder _and_ changing the error message a bit could be a nice idea ;-)

Re: Bug in default folders config

Reply #1
I haven't encountered the problem, but I think you can change the folder location for autosave:

Tools/Options/Folders/Modify

Reply #2
It is true that you can change your default locations. For now, this is the answer. These should probably be defaulting into the "My Documents" area for each user, so we will explore that option in future releases.

Reply #3
It is true that you can change your default locations. For now, this is the answer. These should probably be defaulting into the "My Documents" area for each user, so we will explore that option in future releases.

Exactly what I did ;-)

Thank you for exploring...

Reply #4
Another reason for choosing "My Documents" is that, if you take your PC to the shop and they have to do a full backup before wiping out your hard drive, they will save your stuff, but not files under "Program Files".  I had lost a few NWC2 files done since my last backup but none of my NWC1 stuff which was in "My Documents".
Since 1998

Reply #5
G'day Warren,

Another reason for choosing "My Documents" is that, if you take your PC to the shop and they have to do a full backup before wiping out your hard drive, they will save your stuff, but not files under "Program Files".  I had lost a few NWC2 files done since my last backup but none of my NWC1 stuff which was in "My Documents".

Hmm, then they're lazy!  We NEVER reformat a hard drive without doing a complete backup.  And I mean complete.  If the data is visible to Windows, we get it; if it is visible to a sector copy from Ghost, we get it;  if the drive chamber is intact but the drives' logic board faulty, then provided we can source an identical logic board we will use it, and we get it!

I am amazed at how many people will let cheapskate repairers get away with short changing them on repairs. 

OTOH, if you don't want to pay for the extra, say, hour or so it might take then that is your look out.

/rant

Just re-read the above and realised I should qualify something - we do most of our work for businesses and you'd be surprised how many non-ms products do NOT use my-docs for their data storage - and rightly so too.  These are often in small networks and sharing directories from my-docs can lead to some terrible confusion.  Also, MANY products store their data and/or configuration stuff under "Program Files".  This is also not the best place, but they're still there.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #6
Irrespective of if a repairer will or wont get your NWC files backed up under the programs directory I would suggest that it is good practice to either put all of your data to My Documents or if you have more than one drive, to a drive other than c drive.

Backing up (for those who happen to have learned their lesson more than once) will then be that much better. You know that all of your personal data id in one place and since that is that data that is more fluid, will need backing up more often than data in the Programs area .

For those that haven't learned their lesson - and who don't back up - it's coming - you'd better believe it.

I am heartened to hear that NoteWorthy will consider moving the default locations to My documents. I would also like them to put all of their program products under one folder within Programs too.  That is to have a NoteWorthy Software Folder  under Program Files and then under that to have the various products so that they are all together but that is not as important as the documents and settings.

Rich.

Reply #7
Hmm, then they're lazy!  We NEVER reformat a hard drive without doing a complete backup.  And I mean complete
When I took my PC in, I was told it was illegal for them to save anything under Program Files.  FWIW.
Since 1998

Reply #8
When I took my PC in, I was told it was illegal for them to save anything under Program Files.  FWIW.

They could only be referring to copyright law, and I am not aware of any copyright provisions that stop you from making a backup.  On the contrary, most copyright agreements specify the backups you can make so they can limit the number.  For that matter, how are they to know if your system only contains shareware or open source wich never seems to carry these limitations anyway.

In any case, as they are doing a repair that involves a reformat, it is a backup so that what you already have rights to use is still restorable.  As long as the end result is that you have your data (which the copyright holders have no legal claim over anyway)...

And yes, before anyone starts getting pedantic about OEM software living and dying with the original hardware etc. we are talking about a backup and restore situation here.  You are most certainly allowed to do that.

IMHO it is an excuse to limit the work they have to do and still charge you the max they can get away with.  What happened to service?

/rant

Reply #9
They're probably saying Illegal in the sense the software doesn't allow the operation.  This might occur in Windows XP where the person asking for the copy to be made doesn't have administrator privileges on the particular computer. 

Reply #10
Hmm, good thought David but I doubt it.  If nothing else, you can still recover data with tools like Ghost and Ghost Explorer.

Normally anyone who is bringing in a machine for repair can provide the Administrator password - if there even is one!

For that matter, put the drive in another PC and you can just copy it off (if the drive is functional).