Skip to main content
Topic: Percussion Sounds (Read 10599 times) previous topic - next topic

Percussion Sounds

I was wondering what a couple of the sounds in the percussion channel were.

The very low E in bass clef (the space below the fourth ledger line) sounds sort of like a slap stick, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a slap stick (also called a wood crack or whip) or just a sound effect.

Also, the very low G in bass clef (the space below the third ledger line) sounds like it coule be an actual percussion instrument, but I'm not sure. It sounds like piece of wood of some sort is hitting something and making a clicking noise. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be an actual percussion instrument or not. These are in the standard percussion set (the instrument is set to acoustic grand).

Re: Percussion Sounds

Reply #1
The file "SAMPLES/Drumref.nwc" shows you the sounds available.

Reply #2
I know. However, it doesn't go that low, so it doesn't show those sounds in that file.

Reply #3
On my sound system, the low G sounds like two ordinary drumsticks being tapped against each other.  That's a legitimate use of sticks.  By ordinary, I am thinking of the type of wooden drum stick you would use with a snare drum, not the type of stick or mallet you'd use with other drums such as tymps.

The low E sounds to me like a wooden drumstick striking against the side of a snare drum that has a metal body. I'm not referring to a rim shot.

Reply #4
The GS Drum sounds from Low C down are:-

C Kick Drum 1
B Kick Drum 2
Bb Metronome Bell
A Metronome Click
Ab Square Click
G Sticks
Gb Scratch Pull
F Scratch Push
E Slap
Eb High Q

Reply #5
When you have a large number of staffs, why do the percussion sounds change?

Does that happen with anyone else?

Reply #6
Could it be that some of your percussion staves are not on MIDI channel 10?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
Also, if you have a staff on MIDI channel 10 that sends an instrument patch change, that could alter all of the drum sounds on that channel (in all of the other channel 10 staves).

Reply #8
Another possibility just occurred to me.  Do you have an instrument other than percission on channel 10?

That can be really strange ;)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.