Skip to main content
Topic: bak files. (Read 5092 times) previous topic - next topic

bak files.

I confess my ignorance!   How do I open a .BAK file?

Tony

Re: bak files.

Reply #1
Just rename the extension - change BAK to NWC - in explorer, a DOS window, a unix emulator, or however you deal with files.

Reply #2
An easy way to change the extension in Windows is to use Windows Explorer, find the file, and when it's highlighted, press F2 or doubleclick on the file name. 

The file name is then put into a small cell or window and highlighted. 

Click in the cell/window to the right of the highlighted characters to cancel the highlight, then backspace over bak, and replace it with nwc..

Don't type while the the name is highlighted, unless you want to retype the whole file name. 

Reply #3
And to follow up on David's post - some people may not see file extensions. Most people will know how to deal with this, but just in case ...  Click Tools,   Folder Options then slect the view tab.  A little way down you will see  "Hide Extensions for known file types".  Remove the check box flag and either click "Apply to all folders" or click OK if just wanted for the current folder.
Rich.

Reply #4
Gentlemen,
You have all been so helpful, I am reluctant to confess failure.
I have Windows XP Home and for whatever reason I do not have a button anywhere which goes to Windows Explorer - Internet Explorer, yes. - Windows Explorer, no.
If I go to My Computer>  Local Drive C > My Documents  > My Music,  and click on the BAK file the name highlights. If I double click on this  it goes to Noteworthy and tells me the file is not recognised  If I press F2, in the window on the left-hand side I read "Details  ****** BAK file  Date modified etc."  I cannot change anything in this
box.

Tony

Reply #5
Tony,

You're nearly there. "Windows Explorer" is "My computer" - so that's ok. (If you right click My computer you will see an explore option so many people call it windows explorer).
Wher you say "on the BAK file the name highlights".  At that point, after th name has highlighted, press F2.

What you will see is that the highlight is still  there, but it will now bi in a box. Press the right arrow key. Tis will gt rid of the highlight but you will be still in the box, with the cursor at the end of the letters BAK
Press backspace 3 times to get rid of bak and then type    NWC   

Now press the enter key and you will now have a file with an nwc extention which when you double click, will load into NoteWorthy.

Note that when you press enter above, if you already have a file of the same name with .nwc extention, then you will get an error message.

Otherwise, all should be ok.

Hope this helps.

Rich.

Reply #6
Richard,

I seem to have a gremlin in my PC!

If I show my music files in the View>List option  the files are not identified except by a slightly different icon,  but if I let the cursor rest on a file a box appears which shows it as, for example, a BAK file.  If I select the View>Tiles option the file is clearly shown as a BAK file.  But whichever I choose :-
I select the file and it is highlighted
I press F2 and a box appears round the file name
I press the right arrow and the highlighting disappears,  but the box remains
HOWEVER  the box contains the file name only - it does not include the file extension.  I can only delete the file name.

Tony

Reply #7
Ahhh - no gremlin, you just need to do what I said in an earlier post

That is ....

From where you see your files - Click tools
Click Folder Options
Click the View Tab
Look for the entry that says "Hide extentions for known file types" and click the box to the left so that there is nothing in it.
Click apply to all folders
Click Yes to the message that is displayed
Then click Ok

Now.

Close down "My Computer" and then re-open.
When you now follow the instructions given before, you will now find that you can see the .bak extention, delete it and replace it by .nwc

Here's hoping

Rich.

Reply #8
A shortcut to Windows Expore is accomplished by clicking on the "Windows" (Windows emblem) key between the left side Ctrl & Alt keys, then the "E" key.

Reply #9
Richard,

You cracked it!   although I had "show hidden files and folders" as I always do I had not thought to look whether the 'file extensions' was checked.

Many thanks to all of
you for your help.  A great community.

Tony

Reply #10

Also you can drag-drop a BAK file into NWC and it will open it.

Reply #11
You cannot drag and drop a *.bak onto NWC unless you change its extension to *.nwc first.

Reply #12
You cannot drag and drop a *.bak onto NWC unless you change its extension to *.nwc first.

You can drop a *.bak onto the Viewer and view it.  This can help you decide if it is worth renaming.

Trying to send it from the Viewer to NWC1 or NWC2 gets you a  couple of rhetorical questions.
Registered user since 1996