Skip to main content
Topic: High(er) visibility notation font - NWC2HiVisLP.ttf (Read 7892 times) previous topic - next topic

High(er) visibility notation font - NWC2HiVisLP.ttf

G'day all,
as you may have noticed from Rich's scripto update message, I've released a new NWC2 system (notation typeface) font.  Some of you may recall a thread where Pat, whose husband has vision problems, was looking for round note heads in order to make things easier for her when preparing music for him.  See: https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=5113.msg32383#msg32383  This was the inspiration for the new font.

Called NWC2HiVisLP.ttf, it is based on NWC2MusikDingsSans.ttf but the symbols have been made bolder and, more importantly, the note heads have been enlarged and made round.

The objective was to make NWC2 printed output easier for people with a vision impairment to see.

To install and use, download the font to your hard drive and then copy it to your "Fonts" folder.  I highly recommend you do not download directly into your "Fonts" folder as I have seen this cause problems.

Once installed the font will be available in the: |File|Page Setup|Fonts (tab)|Staff Metrics|Change| dialogue.  Simply click on the "Notation Typeface" pull down and it should be there waiting for you.

To maintain consistancy in appearance you can use my MusikDingsSans suite for the other typefaces in your song.

NWC2HiVisLP and the MusikDingsSans suite are both available from the Scripto:
http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html#Fonts

Any suggestions for improvements are welcome...  Especially from those who prepare music for people with vision problems.

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: High(er) visibility notation font - NWC2HiVisLP.ttf

Reply #1
Which folder do you save it in to work? Configuration?
Supported by The Brotherhood of Pandas

Reply #2
G'day Archive,

Which folder do you save it in to work? Configuration?

Once you download it, you can install it a number of ways, but the easiest is to open your "fonts" folder (Click |Start|Run - type in "fonts" without the quotes and press <Enter>) and copy it in.  Windows will detect this action and install it correctly. 

Please note, if you download directly to the fonts folder you will likely have problems as it will probably not register properly.  To correct this, you need to delete the file from the fonts folder, optionally (but HIGHLY recommended) reboot and then copy into place.

Once installed you use it by going to |File|Page Setup|Fonts (Tab)|"Change" button|"Notation Typeface" "pull down" and it should be listed.

Reply #3
Hmmmm... very good! I tried putting on broken glasses, and I could still see each note clearly! One strange thing is that the quarter notes look handwritten.

Reply #4
G'day Archive,

Hmmmm... very good! I tried putting on broken glasses, and I could still see each note clearly!

Good!  Thankyou.

One strange thing is that the quarter notes look handwritten.

That is odd.  Which part seems to be different?  The notehead for the crotchet (1/4) is the same as for every shorter note.  The minim (half) has its' own round, hollow head as does the semibreve (whole).

If it's the head that seems odd, then all the shorter notes should have the same problem.  If it's the tail, then that is exactly the same no matter what system font you choose as it is generated by NWC and is not part of the font.

Are you finding it shows up in the edit view, the print preview or on actual printouts?

Thanks for the feedback.

Reply #5
If it's the head that seems odd, then all the shorter notes should have the same problem.  If it's the tail, then that is exactly the same no matter what system font you choose as it is generated by NWC and is not part of the font.
I hope tail is Aussie for stem, not flag. Flags are part of the font.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #6
I hope tail is Aussie for stem, not flag. Flags are part of the font.

Oops, blond moment ;)

Yes Rick, stem is exactly what I meant...  Not sure where "Tail" came from...  We normally put tails on 'roos, not notes... ;)

Reply #7
Whoops. I meant the quarter rests

Reply #8
Hmm, OK...  This font was built from my MusikDingsSans suite.  The crotchet rest should look exactly the same except for being a little bolder.

Perhaps you could look at that suite (MusikDingsSans) and compare.  If they are basically the same then it may be simply a matter of interpretation.  If not then I'll organise a new copy for you to check...

This url will take you to the Scripto where the download links exist:
http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html#Fonts

Reply #9
I agree that the quarter-note rest is the same in both fonts, except for boldness.
Here's a picture of the NWC2MusikDingsSans, NWC2HiVisLP, and NWC2SwingDings quarter rests, respectively.  I can see quite a large form difference between the 1st two and the last one.

Reply #10
Hmmm... maybe it's just me. Strange.

Reply #11
G'day all,
well, I've noticed we've just cracked 200 downloads of NWC2HiVisLP...

I'd really like to know if you guys that have checked it out have found it useful...

Thanks.

Reply #12
I downloaded it just now, Lawrie, and checked it out.   I'm not sure how often I'd use it, but I think it will be useful for those with vision problems.   I tend toward your SwingDings, but I have been pretty inactive notation-wise for the past few months.

Reply #13
G'day David,
I downloaded it just now, Lawrie, and checked it out.   I'm not sure how often I'd use it, but I think it will be useful for those with vision problems.   

Yup.  For those without vision problems it probably isn't the easiest to read, but for those for whom it was intended it is my hope that it is a big help. 

I tend toward your SwingDings, but I have been pretty inactive notation-wise for the past few months.

I appreciate your use of SwingDings.  Knowing that people are actually using the fonts really is a big encouragement.

I too have been somewhat inactive in things musical lately - just a bit of playing - study of music stuff and notation things have had to take a back seat as I try to get my business back on track - 2006 has not been our best year, but I have high hopes for 2007 - some new strategies in place...

Reply #14
I di use it quite a bit and it is a definate help. Between the bifocals and the HiVis font these tired old far sighted eyes are not as tired. Haven't tried printing with it since I don't have a need at the moment to print the music.

Keith
Illigitimi Non Carborundum

Reply #15
G'day Keith,
thanks mate - that's the kind of result I was hoping for!

Blessya