Skip to main content
Topic: Confusing marks in printed music (Read 4210 times) previous topic - next topic

Confusing marks in printed music

I often use NoteWothy composer to see how music will sound when played on a piano or another instrument, and just today I came upon something that I have absolutely no idea how to enter into the software. Over a set of 6 16th notes in common time, there was something like a triplet, only it had a 6 instead of a 3. I have seen this with fives, twos, and once, a seven. Does anyone know how to enter this into NoteWorthy Composer? Or, has anyone seen this and do they know what it is?[/font]

Re: Confusing marks in printed music

Reply #1
It's 6 in the time of 4.  To get it to play back correctly, just make a six note triplet.  To print it, you'd have to hide that bar and duplicate it in a layered staff under it, that has six visible notes of the same value, with a triplet-type of bracket but the number 6. 

For those six notes, use Boxmark2 as a userfont, with the characters v 6 w as text.  You can use a capital C in the NWC2MusicDingsSans font to get hyphen-like extenders to pad the distance between the brackets and the number 6.

If you have several staves, you'll have to pad the other visible ones with a couple of invisible rests.

The attached example is in version 1.75 and you'll see it isn't perfectly lined up, but it should give you the general idea.  It won't display correctly unless you have Boxmark2 and NWC2MusicDingsSans fonts in your system - get those from the Scriptorium if you need them.

Reply #2
Sorry Dave, but that's not looking too professional. When do you suppose we will not have to work around this item? I'm sure it's been listed on the wish list many times. Not picking on you, your always helpful and knowledgable. I just think it's time that the n-tuplet thing was approached and dealt with. Work-arounds for this sort of thing tend to fudge as the piece progresses and hidden staves can be a royal pain to deal with.

Reply #3
Hi Fitz,

No, I agree it doesn't look too professional, but hey, I only paid $39 or $49 for the program, 10 years ago. 

I think the workaround looks a wee bit better in version 2 than in 1.75, and I may not have chosen the best fonts, either. 

Having said that I fully agree with you, the n-tuplets will be more than welcome when we get them.

Not being a programmer, I can only imagine the challenge involved in writing code that allows one staff to go out of time while all the other staffs stay in time in the same measure.  Probably something to do with the use of the clock?

Reply #4
Not being a programmer, I can only imagine the challenge involved in writing code that allows one staff to go out of time while all the other staffs stay in time in the same measure.  Probably something to do with the use of the clock?

Not true. Once you've solved the problem of 2 against 3 then any other combination should be a straightforward development of that same idea.

Reply #6
Way confusing! Just can't deal with that whole thing. By the time I go through all of that, I would have forgotten what it was that I wanted to notate. An internal fix is what is needed.

Reply #7
Noteworthy does not directly support the sextuplet.  Two ways around it.  1.  Split it into two triplets.  2.  Keep it as a sextuplet, but process it in Noteworthy as if it were a triplet.  The only thing wrong in this second way of dealing with it is that it will have a 3 rather than a 6 in the linking bar.  It will play back correctly, though.

Reply #8
That is simple enough, and there are ways to make it look correct too, however when you get to other multiples, watch out! It would be great if the program would do it for you.