Skip to main content
Topic: Clefs (Read 3501 times) previous topic - next topic

Clefs

Is there a way to make small sized clefs (like when writing for cello and using tenor clef for two measures and then going back to bass, usually a full sized celf isnt used) using boxmarks or some other font? Thanks.

Re: Clefs

Reply #1
G'day Shigglebiddy,
if you set your current system font (usually NWC2STDA) as a user font you can select clefs from it to place as text.  Select a size to suit.

Note that they will not affect playback.  You can either place a hidden clef as well, or insert an instrument patch with a transposition to effect the correct playback.  Then just reverse the process when the section is finished.

Note that if you use a hidden clef for playback management then subsequent staves will not show a clef so you may need to judiciously place one somewhere in order to restore visibility on following staves.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Thanks Lawire, but I'm not quite sure to go about doing that. I understand how to change the current font system. But then I'm kinda not sure.

Reply #3
Step by step:

Go to File/Page Setup/Fonts.  Check to see if Staff Metrics is NWC2STDA, size 16.  If not, make it so, using the Change button.

Next, select the Staff Bold font in the window, and click on Modify.  Change it to  NWC2STDA, size 12.

Now, go to your staff.  Where you want to change clefs, add one normally.  Then highlight it, press Control E, and set its properties to Visibility=Never.

Now enter a text made clef.  Press X to enter Text.  Your text expression will be a, b, or c depending on which clef you want, and as you enter the text, choose Staff Bold for the font.

That should do it.  You may have to tinker a bit with placement.

You don't need to use Staff Bold for this, but I find it's one that seems not to be needed by me very often, so I don't see the harm in changing it.  Sizes 16 and 12 work, but you can use different numbers.  You should keep the same ratio, it seems to be good.

Reply #5
Note that if you use a hidden clef for playback management then subsequent staves will not show a clef so you may need to judiciously place one somewhere in order to restore visibility on following staves.
I got an idea for restoring clef on the next staves.  Could you try some.
(See Tips & Tricks, I uploaded sample there.)

Reply #6
Yep, saw that Hiroki.  Some neat examples there.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.