Skip to main content
Topic: Tired of searching for text symbols? Find them with this... (Read 11721 times) previous topic - next topic

Tired of searching for text symbols? Find them with this...

When I need text-based characters, I find it hard to remember what letters are needed.  The NWC2 template attached shows the letters and glyphs available with the standard keyboard characters for all fonts set up with the Page Setup dialogue.

I thought other NWC2 users would find it handy, so I'm posting it here.  If Richard would like to add it to the Scriptorium, that would be okay with me. 

Users can change the fonts in this template to match the settings used in a currently active song file.  Just open the template, keep it in the background; then switch back and forth to copy a particular character.  You  can quickly adapt this template to use any fonts you have on your system.   If you do that, I recommend you save it under a new name.

You could also just copy each staff to the bottom of your current song file.  Since every character is in its own bar, it shouldn't distort your display as it would if they were all in one long text entry.

Each character is anchored to a muted, headless note with no stem.  You may want to set the inactive and active staff notation colours to something other than white to make it easier not to copy the notes.

I have not yet added the ASCII key combinations.  That's a project for another day.

Re: Tired of searching for text symbols? Find them with this...

Reply #1
Brilliant work!  Thank you!

Reply #2
Thanks, David!
I changed stuff so that it works better for the fonts I usually use, and modified the staff labels, but I lack the perseverence to create one from scratch, so thanks again.

Reply #3
My pleasure, D and K.  I am not sure how to approach the ASCII characters - not all the fonts use all of them, yet I know there's good stuff.  I'll get to that when I have a couple of spare hours, maybe today or tomorrow.