Skip to main content
Topic: Score Size (Read 2840 times) previous topic - next topic

Score Size

On my NWC program adjustment of the printing size for getting a neat printed score involved opening the Tools>Options window and adjusting " Staff Size (in points) "
 Alas, in NWC2 , I have not yet worked put how to do this. It is almost certainly something quite simple, but----.

Tony

Re: Score Size

Reply #1
G'day Tony,
On my NWC program adjustment of the printing size for getting a neat printed score involved opening the Tools>Options window and adjusting " Staff Size (in points) "
 Alas, in NWC2 , I have not yet worked put how to do this. It is almost certainly something quite simple, but----.

Tony

Actually, it was:
|File|Page Setup|Options (tab)|Staff Size (in points)

In NWC2 (as of beta 2.02 or 3) it is:
|File|Page Setup|Fonts (tab)|Staff Metrics|Change button

This also allows you to select an alternative system typeface.  I don't know if you've been following "Lawrie's font saga", but if not, this change to NWC2 allows the alternative system fonts (typefaces) I've been working on to co-exist with the standard NWC2 system font.

If you're interested in checking them out (the fonts that is) you can find links for 'em here on the Scripto:
http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html#Fonts
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Lawrie,

I now can change my score size; thank you.
I have the alternate fonts, but have not yet dealt with them

Tony

Reply #3
i really like the control we have over printouts of sheet music with NWC. it's very flexible and gives you several options to make things better fit the paper on which we're printing.

why can't noteworthy have an option where we tell it to "make it fit" a certain number of pages? such an option could be on the page setup screen. i really think it would take noteworthy to new heights if it automatically adjusted staff size, staff spacing, note spacing, etc. to fit on a user specified number of printed pages of a user specified size.

NOTE TO NWC STAFF:  just a suggestion. it's a great piece of software, and i find it the easiest to use of all the other notation applications out there. i recommend it to everyone from beginners to experienced musicians. please take it into consideration for a future version.

thanks!
drolar
AIM me at drolar1 (home) or drolar2 (work)

Reply #4
Drolar's request is workable for a single staff composition or a piano or organ score. 

It becomes a bit more complicated when you get into ensemble writing, because the page may need to break in a different spot for each part.  Some parts will be very busy, others may have a lot of multibar rests.  A blanket command to print everything on a certain number of pages might force the score and some parts to print in a very small font, and other parts would have huge amounts of white space.

I'd prefer to have "page break" as a bar line property, similar to the "force system break,"  by which I mean set it the same way as a forced system break and have it affect only the top system.  That way if you want to print trumpets 1, 2, and 3 on the same page, the page breaks follows trumpet 1, but if you print them separately, the page breaks would be unique to the staff you're printing.

Meanwhile, when printing parts, you can sometimes get a page break nearly where you need it to be by using a forced system break and  adjusting the vertical height of the staff you're printing.