Skip to main content
Topic: Quick way to transpose notes? (Read 8977 times) previous topic - next topic

Quick way to transpose notes?

I know that there's Tools-Transpose Staff, but is there an option to select some notes and click Transpose Notes?  If there isn't, do you think someone could add it?

Re: Quick way to transpose notes?

Reply #1
Just highlight them and move them up or down using the control key and the up/down arrows. 

Reply #3
First create a new staff and make sure the clef and key signatures are correct.  Cut the stuff you want to transpose to the new staff.  After the transpose, cut it back to where you found it.
Since 1998

Reply #4
Thanks for trying, but for me, Ctrl.+up or down just moves it more spaces then normal.

If you are simply trying to adjust certain notes on the staff, you will find that if you highlight the notes you want to move, press and hold down both the Ctrl and Shift keys and use the up or down arrow keys to move the selected notes, this will work.

If you are truly trying to transpose the notes, say for the sake of a musician who is doubling on a transposing instrument in the same song or because of a key change, that's an entirely different process closer to the one Warren describes.

Reply #5
Thanks.  That does work, I guess David Palmquist must have forgotten about the shift key.
Either way, I wish that there was a menu option for it.

Reply #6
 You asked for a "Quick way"; quick keys are always faster than menu options.

Reply #7
Sorry I forgot the shift key.  Should have checked out my suggested instruction before doing it.  Ctrl and UP/Down only moves the cursor up or down an octave.

One caveat re Warren's method.  You probably will want to insert the new key signature immediately before the transposed passage when you paste it back into the staff.  You will need to insert the original key signature immediately after, too, if the transposed passage is not the end of the song.

Interesting suggestion to have a menu choice.  I wonder where it would fit best?  Perhaps Edit/Properties or Notes/(transpose) or Tools/Transpose/choice of staff or notes.  The big problem will be ensuring a key signature is included and transposed along with the note.  Else you'd have to allow the Note/Transpose to use accidentals.

Reply #8
If I may stick my tuppenceworth in :-) If you want to have a section transposed for - say - a different keyed intrument, wouldn't it be easier to insert an instrument patch with the transposition included?

Reply #9
Wouldn't it be easier to insert an instrument patch with the transposition included?
That wouldn't work for me because it's one piece, and I'm trying to just transpose a section on one instrument.

Reply #10
For clarity, Tina's method works for playback, but Kahman is asking about printing parts for a musician who doubles.  This is often needed by reed players in big bands and pit orchestras, where they double on 2, 3 or 4 instruments, all in different keys and ranges. 

(Lots of fun when you have 2 bars lead time to unhook one instrument and clip another one on.)

Reply #11
(Lots of fun when you have 2 bars lead time to unhook one instrument and clip another one on.)

Especially when you're putting down your unwieldy and slightly delicate bassoon, and picking up your weightlifter-workout bari sax.  Sometimes it's just easier to fake on the same instrument.

Reply #12
If you are simply trying to adjust certain notes on the staff, you will find that if you highlight the notes you want to move, press and hold down both the Ctrl and Shift keys and use the up or down arrow keys to move the selected notes, this will work.

Actually, that just moves them up or down the staff, it does not actually affect it in half-steps

Reply #13
I don't think you need half steps, you can just change the accidental also.

I am so glad I found this thread, but I don't know why the Program does not have this command in the menu.  I am just making correction to a note here and there and erasing and re doint was not a good option!

Reply #14
I don't know why the Program does not have this command in the menu.  I am just making correction to a note here and there
Then all you need do is select the note(s) and use Shift+Ctrl+Up or Shift+Ctrl+Down
Registered user since 1996