Skip to main content
Topic: Multi-bar rests - easier and improved spacing printing  (Read 16464 times) previous topic - next topic

Multi-bar rests - easier and improved spacing printing

For years, I have been creating multi-bar rests with user font Boxmark2, laid over top of hidden rests.  I've always had a problem with the symbol spilling over the next visible bar line in print preview and when printing. 

I'm now using muted, no-head notes with zero length stems as spacers in the bar where the gylphs are placed, and if the rest is quite long, I also pad the preceding and succeeding bars within the rest too.  So far it seems to work fairly well.

In this example, Userfont5 is Swingdings, still in beta testing by its creator, another member of this forum, however, you can still get an idea of what I mean about the spacing being ok here:

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0
|Rest|Dur:4th
|Bar
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0z|Opts:StemLength=0
|Text|Text:"4"|Font:User5|Pos:3|Justify:Center
|Text|Text:"           ÂÃÃÃÄ          "|Font:User5|Pos:-3|Justify:Center
|Bar|Visibility:Never
|Rest|Dur:Half|Visibility:Never
|Rest|Dur:Whole|Visibility:Never
|Bar
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Re: Multi-bar rests - easier and improved spacing printing

Reply #1
For me, "preserve width" on the boxmarks entry solves the spillover problem.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #2
When I was heavily using NWC2, I thought I had the problem solved through a combination of preserve width, augmented by preserved width white space after.  However, coming back to it recently after a bit of a hiatus, and with the new font, I'm finding a little spillover problem.  My discovery seems to solve it, but if someone's not experiencing the problem, there's the old saying.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Reply #3
G'day David,
I'm VERY pleased to see you using my fonts  :)

Perhaps you could try this version of your clip - same effect, couple of slightly different characters and it is much easier to input.  The multibar rest characters are:
":4;  " (No quotes and there's 2 spaces after the semi-colon) left justified with "preserve width" turned on.  I found it seemed to look better in preview on my system.

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Rest|Dur:4th
|Bar
|Text|Text:":4;  "|Font:User5|Pos:4|Wide:Y
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

:)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Hi, Lawrie. 

Before I get into the gist of this message, let me publicly thank you for the new user fonts.  I didn't identify you before as the author because I wasn't sure you were ready to be announced.

Now, the multibar rest itself - I hadn't realized the number would position itself so well within the single text string.  That looks really nice.  I see that your overspill feature allows a few blank spaces within the text string allows it to stretch out a bit, within limits. I interpreted the overspill as allowing an overlap with other text entries, not within the one entry, so that's something good to learn.  If you have one more character, a horizontal line equal in thickness and vertical position to the ; and : symbols, but without the end serifs, the MBR could be stretched to any length desired.  This would be similar to the Alt-0207 symbol, but just a little lower.  However, this is a "nice to have," not an essential need.

I owe you about a thousand thanks, I figure...

Reply #5
Hi, Lawrie. 

Before I get into the gist of this message, let me publicly thank you for the new user fonts.

Aw, shucks :)

I didn't identify you before as the author because I wasn't sure you were ready to be announced.

I don't mind being identified.  As the fonts are currently only available on a restricted basis untill I can consider 'em pretty much finalised it is a little difficult to share work that includes them.  Provided I'm travelling with a "following wind" they should be ready for general publication within a couple of weeks.  I actually would have them out there already except a request for some specific European characters in SwingText came in and that is the delay.

Now, the multibar rest itself - I hadn't realized the number would position itself so well within the single text string.  That looks really nice.  I see that your overspill feature allows a few blank spaces within the text string allows it to stretch out a bit, within limits. I interpreted the overspill as allowing an overlap with other text entries, not within the one entry, so that's something good to learn.  If you have one more character, a horizontal line equal in thickness and vertical position to the ; and : symbols, but without the end serifs, the MBR could be stretched to any length desired.  This would be similar to the Alt-0207 symbol, but just a little lower.  However, this is a "nice to have," not an essential need.

Great minds and all that.  I have created an updated version already that includes exactly that character - mapped to the hyphen.  It was done about 10 hours ago but is not yet posted.  I'll put it up in the usual place when I get back from church this morning.

I owe you about a thousand thanks, I figure...

Now you're making me [glow=red,2,300]blush[/glow] - please don't stop, I like it... :)

Reply #6
Where can I find these fonts you speak of?

Reply #7
G'day Bob,

If you have joined the NG then there are links there to the beta releases.  Otherwise, I expect to be publishing via the scripto within the next 2 weeks.  I have just a little tidying up to do on the Euro font and beta5 will be available.  I'm pretty sure beta5 will be the release version.

I have deliberately kept distribution small for the moment 'cos the character mappings have been fairly volatile.  That has settled now and the only real delay is that I'm on a big project for one of my customers and have very little time to work on the fonts at the moment.

Given the rise in interest I'm very keen to get the release version "out there" so I'll be trying to minimise the delay as much as I can.

Reply #8
Take as long as you like...I am a perfectionist...

Reply #9
G'day Bob,

and

Take as long as you like...I am a perfectionist...

I was wondering, did you see the announcement Rich made in the "Scriptorium Update" thead?

If not, then you could go here: https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=5437.msg36227#msg36227

or direct to the Scripto: http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html#Fonts