Skip to main content
Topic: Feature Request: Subtitle (Read 11774 times) previous topic - next topic

Feature Request: Subtitle

It would be very convenient if we could have a second line centred under the title, in slightly smaller print. It'd give room to, for example, say what a song is from:

Lady Hilda's Song
From Broken Hearts

Further subtitles would allow even more information:

Lady Hilda's Song
From Broken Hearts
For Voice and Mandolin

What do you think?

Re: Feature Request: Subtitle

Reply #1
You've got my vote...

You should stick it in the wish list!
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
I'd like this a lot also, but with the option of “supertitles” added:

Stan Kenton’s Recorded Arrangement
MacArthur Park

Reply #3
Hi K.A.T.

Do you have that arrangement?
I would be interested in sequencing that.

Barry Graham
Melbourne, Australia

Reply #4
Hi, Barry,
I do have that arrangement...already sequenced in NWC1.
There are missing parts, though (flute page 3, bari sax, trpt 1 p.3, trpt 2, guitar), so I had to extrapolate them (no score either!).  I can send that to you if your address hasn't changed in a while, or if you post it.

I listened to your other charts; they sound pretty decent on my system.
(I'm not about to fool around with soundfonts right now - VERY [glow=red,2,300][shadow=orange,left]hectic[/shadow][/glow] time for me...)

Reply #5
Where IS the wish list? Can never find it.

Reply #7
Not only subtitles, but instead of just "author", you should be able to do something like this:

Music by Someone (year-year)
Lyrics by Someone Else (year-year)
and Yet Another Person (year-year)
Based on Row, Row, Row, Your Boat
by A Nameless Person (year-year)

fully customizable, of course...this would really come in handy for me, as I work with church music, most of which is based on another song.

Reply #8
Hey Bob,
I,m thinkin' that church music shold be based on the Holy Scriptures, not on other songs. There's plenty of inspiration between Genesis and Revelation to keep any songwriter going. that said, I think it would be nice to be able to have extra fields in the Title/Composer/Lyricist area.

Reply #9
Hey Bob,
I,m thinkin' that church music shold be based on the Holy Scriptures, not on other songs. There's plenty of inspiration between Genesis and Revelation to keep any songwriter going. that said, I think it would be nice to be able to have extra fields in the Title/Composer/Lyricist area.

Usually when I do church music, I'm transposing already existing music...such as Three Days, which is based on Gustav Holst's Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity from The Planets.

You would be surprised how many popular church songs are based on classical music and folk songs...

Reply #10
I'm thinking, "Be Still My Soul", based on Sibelius' "Finlandia" as another example.  And to carry it even further:

Words: Ka­tha­ri­na A. von Schle­gel, in Neue Samm­lung Geist­lich­er Lied­er, 1752 (Stille, meine Wille, dein Je­sus hilft sie­gen); trans­lat­ed from Ger­man to Eng­lish by Jane L. Borth­wick in Hymns from the Land of Lu­ther, 1855.

I don't know that we need to go that far...

- John
John

Reply #11

It's unfortunate that I feel obliged to export metafiles from NWC to OpenOffice every time when I need to make DTP quality scores.

The wish has one supporter down here.

Reply #12
Rather than supertitles, subtitles, sub-subtitles, etc. why not have something like a header for the page which can be configured differently for the first page and subsequent pages (possible even odd and even pages!)? Basically, similar to the tools available within word processors.

This would grant full flexibility to users and even allow, for example, the inclusion of hymn numbers. At present I have to import into Word or Publisher to achieve this.

Reply #13
When I last checked, NWC and NWC2 were very inexpensive, takes moments to instal, is elegantly simple to operate, with virtually no learning curve and many workarounds, and it takes very little disk space either for the program or the files we create with it.

Every time a feature is added, Eric has to find the time to program it, debug it, etc., and everything that adds capability detracts from the benefits I mention above.   If we start to get into word processing features, we'll end up with something similar to a Microsoft Word program, which is extremely powerful, but has none of the attributes I mention above. 

I'd rather keep it simple.  We have workarounds for most things we need to do, with plenty of user tips and plenty of users with years of experience with the program who are quite willing to help newbies with suggestions.

My rant

Reply #14
I agree with you, David, in that we don't need the title on every page...but having an extra field or two on the page info and a few more lines show up on the printout where the title goes shouldn't be that much of a problem, should it?

Reply #15
Hi Bob,

but having an extra field or two on the page info and a few more lines show up on the printout where the title goes shouldn't be that much of a problem, should it?

Not being a programmer, I don't know what would be involved in the coding, nor what this feature would do to the other attributes of the program that I mentioned. 

Many users have made many requests in the ten years I've been using the program.  Eric has acted on some, and on others there's just been silence.  I'd be right royally choked to see a recent request, for which there is a workaround,* take precedence over long-standing requests for things that relate to the quality of the music notation itself.

* If you need more space for the title, I think you can simply:
  • leave the title information blank in the Information screen
  • increase the top margin, print the music,
  • open a word processor, create your customized title
  • print it on the sheet of paper that now already has the music on it

Reply #16
David's reply above is what I have used in similar situations. It often requires a little experimenting before I get it right but I get there in the end

Tony

Reply #17
I suppose that works, if you're good at printing on paper that's already been printed on...I'll keep that idea in mind for now!