Skip to main content
Topic: .bak files (Read 9750 times) previous topic - next topic

.bak files

Somehow I deleted one of my .nwc files and tried retrieving it using the backup file.  I followed  instructions  posted earlier that said to rename the file and change the extension to .nwc but when I do that I get a message that says *.nwc.bak ........Noteworthy composer does not recognize the file type 'bak' so it is unable to open the file.  I didn't insert "BAK" when I renamed the file.  What am I doing wrong.

Re: .bak files

Reply #1
This probably means that you have file extensions hidden. From Windows Explorer, check your viewing options, probably from Tools, Folder Options. You want to turn off the option called "Hide file extensions for known file types" from the View tab (its name may vary slightly with different versions of Windows). This will enable you to rename a file, including its extension.

Reply #2
I am using Windows XP.  The only option I see that in any way resembles your suggestion is Noteworthy Composer Options
auto save/recovery: c:\progra~1\notewo~\autosave

If this is the file you refer to how do I modify it.
Ed

Reply #3
As stated above, from Windows Explorer, check your viewing options. This is not an option in NWC, but rather in Explorer.

Once you configure the Windows' Explorer such that you can see file extensions, you will be able to remove the '.bak' extension on your file, thus changing it into a '.nwc' file. You can then open it in NoteWorthy Composer.

Reply #4
To actually complete the rename action, in Explorer, highlight the file name in the right hand window, then either press F2 or Alt-File, Rename.

You can also rename the same way from My Computer, if it exists in XP .

Reply #5
I thank you so much.  This saved me a lot of work.
Ed

Reply #6
Under Dos, you can rename ALL of your .bak file at once.
For safety (not because of dos, just for safety) you should copy them first, and work with the copy.
In the proper directory:
  • mkdir safety
    this creates a new "safety" directory in the current one
  • copy *.bak safety
    this copies every .bak file in the new dir
  • copy *.nwc safety
    and the same goes for your .nwc files
  • ren *.bak *.nwc
    this renames your .bak into .nwc . Note: if the .nwc file already exist, it won't rewrite it, but will display an error message you can ignore; whereas
  • copy *.bak *.nwc
    which you should *NOT* do unless it is what you want, for this will replace the most recent version by the previous one: .bak will overwrite .nwc .
    Then you can work with your new nwc files.

If you want to save all of your .NWC on a diskette, type:
  • copy /V *.nwc A:\
    and all the .NWC of the current directory will be copied on the diskette you already have inserted in your floppy drive.
    The /V option will force windows/dos the re-read the file when it is written, an option that is OFF by default on windows...
HTH

Reply #7
Hi

I use XP home.
I tried renaming it but in the details screen I still see BAK-file.
The name just says XXX.nwc, but it doesn't recognize it as a bak file.

Reply #8
I have noticed that when re-naming a file - I use XP -after re-naming and before I close the folder I have to remember to click on a blank area of the window .  If I don't do this the original name is still there when I go back to it.

Tony

Reply #9
Blank area? Not necessary. Go to the filename you want to change.
Press F2, change the name, press Enter.
As some of us say in Holland: Enter en je bent er. (Enter and you're there.)