Skip to main content
Topic: Inserting Groupings such as 5, 7, 9 (Read 18239 times) previous topic - next topic

Inserting Groupings such as 5, 7, 9

To insert groupings such as 5, 7, 9, simply enter all other notes falling within standard groupings, (enter first notes of odd groupings or whatever you like to keep place), then audit bar lines as usual. When you are done with the whole piece, then go back and add the extra notes and beam together. Use insert text and --5-- or some such notation over grouping to alert performer as to size of grouping. Tripletizing will help with keeping time accurate in some cases, but if using odd-note groupings with many staffs, printout will be fine but playback will be inaccurate.

Re: Inserting Groupings such as 5, 7, 9

Reply #1
Editor's Note: At this time NWC only supports triplets. If you have a song with more than one staff, this work around could yield unpredictable results as the bar lines may not be accurate.

Reply #2
I've been inserting such groupings by writing down the grouping and changing the tempo in that place to allow the grouping to fit. Any other notes contemporaneous with the grouping have to be lengthened so that their tempo doesn't change. But since I'm new at this, I don't know how to do all this on a hidden staff and show the correct printed notes on the display staff. Any suggestions on how best to do that?

Reply #3
I've been inserting such groupings by writing down the grouping and changing the tempo in that place to allow the grouping to fit. Any other notes contemporaneous with the grouping have to be lengthened so that their tempo doesn't change. But since I'm new at this, I don't know how to do all this on a hidden staff and show the correct printed notes on the display staff. Any suggestions on how best to do that?

For pentuplets, every "ordinary" note being played concurrently with the pentuplets needs to be lengthened by 1/4.  On the hidden/played staff, tie each note to one with a quarter of the original length (or add two flags).  E.g., a dotted eighth would be tied to a dotted 32nd and a 16th would be tied to a 64th.  On the displayed/muted staff, no ties would be needed, but each note would be followed by a [shadow=red,left]hidden rest[/shadow] with the same duration as the new notes following the ties in the played staff.

Also check this tip:
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=2326
Since 1998

Reply #4
I have wrapped up a summary of: Triplet (-3-), Quadruplet (-4-), Quintuplet (-5-), Sextuplet (-6-) and Pentuplet (-7-).

Sample shows how each n-plets can appear:
Staff-1: -5-, -6-, -7-, -8-, -7-
Staff-2: -3-, -3-, -5-, -3-, -3-
Staff-3: -4-, -4-, -4-, -4-, -4-    ...  each -n- is "Quarter".

Note as NoteWorthy Composer has text-editor-like score editor, so many notes, longer space -- as you know.  In some case, only One bar on One staff.  I'd like to have
smaller notes available (also can be used for cadenza, lead-in, alternative, etc.)

Now I can upload files. 

Reply #6
That's a pretty cool attachment.
I like the way you incorporated the overtone series into it (right down to the out-of-tune seventh partial).

Reply #7
That's a pretty cool attachment.
I like the way you incorporated the overtone series into it (right down to the out-of-tune seventh partial).
Thanks.
FWIW, the attached file was discussed on the NWC newsgroup a few years ago.
Since 1998