Skip to main content
Topic: Drums, Drums, and more Drums! (Read 10272 times) previous topic - next topic

Drums, Drums, and more Drums!

I am having a huge problem with drums. Could someone send me a chart of some kind of what each note is in the key of C? I know about the stuff in the NWC Help file and it managed to confuse me more. Please send and reply to ddementia@aol.com because I never get a chance to read this board. Thanks in advance.

Re: Drums, Drums, and more Drums!

Reply #1
Yeah, send something to me too. In fact is there something on the net that can help?? Ta. Nicole

Reply #2
There is a help file on this within NWC, but I will send you both an e-mail on it. If anyone else wants a response, let me know! :-)

-roncli

Reply #3
Actually, the help on this is "hidden" under faqs and really
hard to find. Once there, you see:
Key   Percussion Sound   

35   Acoustic Bass Drum   
36   Bass Drum 1   (Note = C)
37   Side Stick   
38   Acoustic Snare   
39   Hand Clap   
40   Electric Snare   
41   Low Floor Tom   
42   Closed High Hat   
43   High Floor Tom   
44   Pedal High Hat   
45   Low Tom   
46   Open High Hat   
47   Low-Mid Tom   
48   High-Mid Tom   (Note = C)
49   Crash Cymbal 1   
50   High Tom   
51   Ride Cymbal 1   
52   Chinese Cymbal   
53   Ride Bell   
54   Tambourine   
55   Splash Cymbal   
56   Cowbell   
57   Crash Cymbal 2   
58   Vibraslap   
59   Ride Cymbal 2   
60   High Bongo   (Note = C)
61   Low Bongo   
62   Mute High Conga   
63   Open High Conga   
64   Low Conga   
65   High Timbale   
66   Low Timbale   
67   High Agogo   
68   Low Agogo   
69   Cabasa   
70   Maracas   
71   Short Whistle   
72   Long Whistle   
73   Short Guiro   
74   Long Guiro   
75   Claves   
76   High Wood Block   
77   Low Wood Block   
78   Mute Cuica   
79   Open Cuica   
80   Mute Triangle   
81   Open Triangle

the numbers are pretty meaningless since you can't USE them
for anything, but I made a score with each note in turn
given a measure of eighths, and you can then "hear" what
each of these things "sound" like and decide better what you
want to use . . .

Copyright ® 1996,1997 by NoteWorthy ArtWare, Inc.

Reply #4
60 is middle C, you can adjust from there.

-roncli

Reply #5
Has anyone seen any software anywhere that will take a channel 10 midi percussion track and/or a couple of specific GM percussion instuments and output printed scores that God's sweet but simple percussion children can read? I have a couple that do drum grids and drum maps but then seem to only allow standard midi representation.

Reply #6
i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to make a good metal drum bowl. you know... those drums that make a different pitch when you hit different places in the bowl.

Reply #7
I believe that those are tuned with a sledgehammer.

Reply #8
I found out that there Percussion Sounds lower than 35 Acoustic Bass Drum and higher than 81 Open Triangle.
Does anyone have official names for these sounds?
(One of the higher notes is a bell tree, but I found a file which refers to it as “zing.”)
I can’t tell what some of the sounds are supposed to be.

Reply #9
Those extra drum sounds will depend on your synth. Some don't have them at all (which is presumably why NoteWorthy didn't include them in drumref.nwc).

If you happen to have an XG system, I can suggest getting "xg-drums.nwc" from the Scriptorium Helpful Files Section, which includes the names and the patches/banks used to access them.

Fred

Reply #10
PS - Since Roland GS is very similar to Yamaha XG, the drum instrument names might be similar enough to be useful for the DirectX-based "Microsoft/Roland wav midi" or whatever they call it in newer builds of Windows (98SE onward).

Fred

Reply #11
I could have sworn that “xg-drums.nwc” was the file which refers to the bell tree as “zing.”  Has it been updated?  Anyway, thanks yet again, Fred.  [And I usually see “sleigh bells” rather than “jingle bell.”]
OK, now, what is a Surdo?  I can’t hear this on my souncard, and it’s not in any of my dictionaries.  And what’s a Hi Q?  A Seq Click?  And look!  There’s the answer to Paul Beanhammer’s Brushes https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=2173!  There’s a Tap, 2 Swirls, and a Slap.  And why is it that the lower of two sounds (Timbale, Agogo, Whistle, Wood Block) is notated with a higher pitch?
[hope I did that link thing right…]

Reply #12
Oh my, questions galore...

I could have sworn that "xg-drums.nwc" was the file which refers to the bell tree as "zing." Has it been updated?

No, I don't ever recall seeing "zing." The names I put in the file were the ones in the XG manual.

OK, now, what is a Surdo?

Don't know in real life, but in XG it's a way cool bass drum. Comes in two flavours, muted and not. The unmuted one has a sort of "ba-wommm" sound. (That come across?)

And what's a Hi Q?

Imagine a snare sound, superimposed on it is a sort of laser-zap sound (fast sweep from a high to lower frequency). Used a lot in techno/dance music, I'm sure you'd recognise it if you heard it.

And why is it that the lower of two sounds [Timbale, Agogo, Whistle, Wood Block] is notated with a higher pitch?

Lord only knows.

[hope I did that link thing right?]

Yeah, the link thing worked, but when referring to another message on the forum the preferred method is to use a relative link, i.e. exclamation mark (or "bang") followed by the message number. This way the link still works on the offline forum without having to jump online to get it.

Reply #13
Which I changed to the offline friendly format...

Reply #14
OK, now, what is a Surdo? I can’t hear this on my souncard
I can’t hear these things either.  Is there something I should be doing to make this work?  (Please don’t tell me I need a new soundcard...)  What about the Seq Click?  (You skipped that one.)

Reply #15
>> Yeah, the link thing worked
Well, it HAD worked.  I had written “Paul Beanhammer’s Brushes question!” with the word “question” as the link, and it came out right.
que sera...

Reply #16
What about the Seq Click?

That's basically just a sharp metronome sound. Handy as a conductor track when you're sequencing in real-time, hence the name (I presume anyway).

As to what you need - I hate to sound like an ad, but the cheapest way to hear the XG extended sounds is to get the SoftSynth. You can find out more about them at Yamaha, or the UK store. Or, Roland's version (GS, another extended midi system) using their VSC (virtual sound canvas) softsynth, sorry I don't have their URL handy. Or an external synth (XG or GS) with General Midi capability (IOW, an old DX-7 or D-30 won't work as expected). I have no direct experience with this, but there are plenty of knowledgable and helpful folk that do.

Last but far from least, if you have a soundfont-capable sound card (SBLive!, Audigy, etc.), you should be able to remap just about any note (instrument) on channel 10 to anything your heart desires.

Reply #17
I have SoftSynth on my old computer.  I’ll go try it there.  And I have SBLive! on my new machine.  Could you explain how to remap just about any note [instrument] on channel 10 to anything your heart desires.?

Reply #18
Sorry, Minnie, the sentence I have no direct experience with this, but there are plenty of knowledgable and helpful folk that do. should have gone after the last paragraph, and the "go back and edit" feature isn't working yet.

Sue Morton is one such knowledgable person, Ertugrul is another, perhaps one of them can help out.

Reply #19

If I understand correctly, you want to install individual soundfonts for each instrument (pitch) on channel 10, right?

That's, at least theoretically, possible. However, you'll need to find soundfonts with individual instruments on the percussive pool and each of those soundfonts should contain a single instrument at a time. That way, it's hardly ever possible to fill out all of the required instruments.

However, a better way, you can edit soundfonts or do one for yourself. You can compile your favourite instruments (melodic or percussive) to make your dream set. Be careful doing that, since you might have comitted copyright infridgement. Well, use it (personally) but do not distribute unless you're sure.

Vienna Soundfont Studio, which is the mainstream freeware utility to edit soundfonts, comes bundled with SB Live!/Audigy.

Hth,
Ertugrul

---
ertugrulinanc-at-ixir-dot-com

Reply #20
just a simple question from a beginner...how loose is the bottom cymbal
on the high hat supposed to be? does it just lay there or do you screw it
in to something??