Skip to main content
Topic: request: trial version of NWC2 (Read 8178 times) previous topic - next topic

request: trial version of NWC2

Why isn't there a trial version of the NWC2 beta? Many applications, such as WinRAR, have trial versions of beta versions.

Re: request: trial version of NWC2

Reply #2
I guess that NWC simply doesn't want to release a public beta trial version. Nothing says that they must do so, and indeed I can think of many other beta tests that are available only to certain kinds of users. NWC addresses a broad user base, including experienced "power users" as well as software novices (many of whom may or may not be music novices). When NWC1.75 was being beta-tested, I wasn't invited to participate - and I'd been visibly using the program since 1.55. So don't feel bad.

Reply #3
When you say a trial version, do you mean a Trial CD which costs money, or a 100% free simple 'Click-to-download' trial?

Reply #4
...or a 100% free simple 'Click-to-download' trial?
Of course...

Reply #5
That's funny ....

I didn't seem to have ANY trouble at all getting my trial version of NWC2 beta once I bought NWC1.75

I don't understand why you are having the same problems. Perhaps you should take a look at what David Palmquist said earlier. I think that procedure works for all users here.

Hope that helped.

Reply #6
and why are there so many songs about rainbows
And what's on the other side?

And why is a raven like a writing desk?

Why isn't there a trial version of life? The answer is 42 anyway - the question is wrong.

Reply #7
I only know the answer to the second question, and it happens to be on-topic!

Q: How is a raven like a writingdesk?

A: They both produce notes, but are quite flat.

Reply #8
MIDI Man's reply made me realize that User111 may be suggesting a free trial download of version 2 for those who have not already paid for version 1.  I'd have to go with Robert A.'s explanation, it makes sense to me.  I imagine when version 2's testing is finished, we'll see a demo version similar to the current one for Version 1.

Rob d H, that was in base 12, wasn't it?

Reply #9
... or maybe base 13?

Reply #10
I've forgotten how to calculate in base 12 - I haven't done school math for about 36 years.  Could be base 13.  The answer was to a misunderstood question, what's 6x9?  I think base 12 was whispered on the radio show, but maybe they said 13.

Reply #11
"The answer is 42 anyway" rings me a bell, but with galaxy somewhere. Am I wrong??

Reading the first question, it seems obvious to me that user111 refers to a trial version for anyone, even people who never tried the 1.* ones.

As a developer myself, I made the experience that if you propose a beta-version of a software to public, and some users do find bugs, then the "reputation" of the beta will stick on the final version. Which is silly, but is seen.

So submitting a beta version only to people who know how good the final product can be, seems a good thing to me.

For I'm convinced the final 2.0 version will be as reliable as the 1.* versions. And I think I've known almost all of them.

Reply #12
P.S. For calculating in base n, it's easy.

First remind you that we use the arabic way of writing when we write numbers: from right to left. I don't know if they took that also from Indian mathematicians, as they did for the zero as a base-number.

Then remember that starting from right, each position means you read the digit to n power # where # is the position, starting from right, starting at 0.

423 in base 13 is then:
3 x 13power0 = 3 x 1
+ 2 x 13power1 = 2 x 13
+ 4 x 13power2 = 4 x 169
equals 705 (base 10 ;))
You can also write 1x3+13x(2+13x(4)), or (13x((13x4)+2))+3...

That's what we do with base 10 all the time ;)

Reply #13
42 is the meaning of life, of course, and that was in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Reply #14
42 is the definitive answer to Life, the Universe and Everything.
Deep Thought, an extremely large and powerful computer, has been calculating the answer for 10 million years. Then it required a partly biological computer (Earth) to come up with the question. Five minutes before readout, Earth was destroyed to make way for an interplanetary, interstallar or intergalactic bypass (forget which) by the Vogonians.

Cyril: that's the one, accordinging to Lewis Carroll's own explanation! (the raven and the writing desk)

About number systems: to me, 1b, 27 and 33 are the same. It is an Escape (Ascii) in hex, decimal and octal.

Sorry about the time it took me to pick up (again) on this thread.
Way OT or not...

Reply #15
42 is the answer to the ultimate question of Life, the Universe and Everything.
The question turned out to be "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?"
Earth was destroyed ... by the Vogons.

Reply #16
The base 12 or base 13 is whispered subtly in the background when they ask what the question was.

Reply #17
Serves me right for reading it in Dutch first, then in English. Do you know any poetry by Vogon Schnautz?

Reply #18
The Dutch name of Ford Prefect. At the time that the Guide was being translated, Amro Bank had not merged with Algemene Bank Nederland yet. So this nice person from Beetlejuice (yeah, I know) picked Amro Bank for himself, as a common and inconspicous name. I still think it's a scream.

Reply #19
Hey, why are y'all gettin' off topic? Maybe just chattin', huh?

Reply #20
Marsu wrote:

"First remind you that we use the arabic way of writing when we write numbers: from right to left. I don't know if they took that also from Indian mathematicians, as they did for the zero as a base-number."

Marsu, I don't get it. Arabic is written right to left (as are Syriac and Hebrew). "Arabic numerals", however, are written left to right by Arabs too. Presumably this is because the Indians from whom the Arabs learned them wrote left to right (the Devanagari alphabet), and naturally wrote numerals the same way. When the Arabs adopted them, they retained the Indian order and did not conform them to the direction in which Arabic is written. The zero is just as you say: first incorporated into the system of numerals in India, adopted by the Arabs, and transmitted by them to Europe, along with the other nine numerals as we now write them.

Thank you, Arabs; it would be hard for us to function if we had to use Roman numerals for everything.

Stephen