Skip to main content
Topic: Shaped Notes (Read 4700 times) previous topic - next topic

Shaped Notes

Is there any way I can turn the standard round note format into the do, re, me, fa, sol, la, ti, do, format. Does anyone know if there are any plans or any hopes that this will ever happen.
Thank you for your time
J. McLain

Re: Shaped Notes

Reply #1
I am looking for the same type program because the music we use in church is in shaped notes? I am looking for other people who may have similar interests in music.

Reply #2
I don't know about NWC's plans in this regard. There are competing programs that can do shaped notes (a.k.a. Fasola), but if your main application is church music, you may find that the learning curve is too steep.

You might try contacting someone via this web site:
http://www.fasola.org

It is some sort of educational site for shaped-note music.

Reply #3
The learning curve is no problem. I Have punched in many songs using the available round note format (no problem) It only poses a visual challenge. For me it is just more visually apealing to see the shaped notes. I also want this for Hymn music. Those of us who have studied this type of music, are trained to know what a note sounds like by its shape or appearance, not where it is at on the staff. So you can see what a disadvantage we face with round notes, (it is like looking at a foreign language) it just isnt readable by the methods we have been taught. Oh well enough rambling. Maybe someday.
John

Reply #4
Sorry, I was not clear in my previous posting.

The "learning curve" I referred to was not regarding musical notation. I was referring to learning how to use another software program.

Reply #5
Your right Joe. That is always a steep curve.

Reply #6
Finale can do the do re me's very well but the learning curve is sorta tuff.  The Singing School At Abalene, Tx has a course in the use of Famale July 10-16 of 2004 if anyone is interested.

Reply #8
MusicEase Professional does a good job with shape notes and the learning curve is not a problem.

Reply #9
... fine, if that does what you want it to do. There are actually very few requests for that feature, mostly from non-users. It is a specialization.