Skip to main content
Topic: Putting .nwc on website (Read 8696 times) previous topic - next topic

Putting .nwc on website

Hi.. I have put some .nwc files on my web site and for some reason they want to load up as text rather than binary.. I notice some of the others have had the same problem.. my system administrator is looking into it.. he says it is not a common file extension.. what did others do to solve?

Re: Putting .nwc on website

Reply #1
Yes, it seems that .NWC files are recognized as text files (on NN3 at least, didn't try on MSIE or any other).

2 Solutions :
First is to upload them as zipped files. For speed sake it's better too ;
Second is to use ftp instead, setting it up into binary mode.

If someone can properly download a(ny) .nwc file(s), let us know !

Hope this helps,
Dominique

Reply #2
Even though I have never tried what I am about to say, I think it should work...

I know it's possible to do this with Netscape Navigator 3 but I think same technique can be applied to other browsers, ie MSIE.

First of all d/l NWC PLayer, and then setup .nwc application as a helper app (in Netscape, under Options|General Preferences|Helper Apps), so that as soon as you click on a .nWC file it will automatically launch the player.

When uploading the .NWC file to your web site (ftp) use binary file transfer.

I am pretty sure one could get this to work, but it's just in theory

Reply #3
Netscape, in reply to the question "Why doesn't my web page work when I upload it to my ISP's server?" say (amongst other things) "If you have composed a web page locally on your hard drive and it works, but once uploaded sound files don't play, etc., read on.

The web functions on MIME types. For every document transmitted, the server includes a 'header' which instructs the receiver (web browser) as to what *kind* of data is being sent. The format is type/sub-type.

When a sound clip or video applet doesn't run, it is usually related to MIME types on either or both the client (Navigator) and the server. Example: Server is sending application/midi, when the client is expecting audio/x-midi. The fix: contact your service provider (ISP) for help to correct the mismatch. "

I was calling mine application/x-nwc, but perhaps Noteworthy Artware would like to choose a standard that we could all use before going off to out ISPs to get our files recognised.

Andrew

Reply #4
And, of course, if all you're interested in is the playback capability, the simplest approach is to export your .nwc file as a MIDI (.mid) file and put that on your Web site. Then just about any Web surfer will be able to play your masterpiece.

- seb

Reply #5
I still think there is a step missing, and that's telling our Webserver to tell the rest of the web that the file it's about to send is an application/nw-composer

I believe that it is just defaulting to text/html or something similar, as when I click on my links to NWC files, they end up in my window as text (not much text in a NWC file, is there?:-)

Is there anyone who can explain this whole procedure fully so that when people click on my NWC files they will get Noteworthy Player playing it?

Of course, the next step is to have NW Player as a plugin, and then we can EMBED the files!!!! Scarey thought!

Andrew

Reply #6
You must setup the MIME type for NWC files such that Netscape receives NWC files as binary data. On our servers, we added the following line to our .htaccess file:

AddType application/octet-stream nwc

This forced NWC files to be treated as a binary MIME type. If you are adding NWC files to your web site, consult with your web server documentation for the appropriate method for achieving this.

Reply #7
send me partitures of j.s bach for guitar

Reply #8
Regarding downloading a *.nwc file: Has anyone tried the right-click and "Save Target As" or "Save Link As" on your web browser? It depends which browser you have. I know this works for some things. For example, it can be used to save a MIDI file without playing it immediately. Unfortunately I cannot try it for *.nwc on my current machine, as the Windows NT system that I am using has that function blocked.

Reply #9
I moved to another computer ...

Using Netscape on a Windows machine, it is possible to download a *.nwc file as a file to disk, without the machine attempting to open it as text. Right-click on the link, and "Save Link As..." Later, you can open the saved *.nwc file in Noteworthy Player.

Of course, you can also zip the file. Then, anyone with an un-zipper can get it. Or, if your audience has Windows machines (and I suppose they do), then you may be able to make a Windows self-executable file to enclose your *.nwc, if you have the software.

Reply #10
It should also be noted that version 1.70 of both NWC and the Player include a mechanism which attempts to correct for an *.nwc file that has been incorrectly retrieved as an ASCII file.

Reply #11
Ah, yes! Thank you very much for that ASCII versus binary feature, NWC. In fact, on my system, when I right-click and "Save Link As" it DOES retrieve it as ASCII, and the NWC software DOES give a warning message and (so far, successfully) converts the file to the necessary binary.

Reply #13
This reply probably belongs more correctly under the discussion on the new browser plug-in. However, since Noteworthy has introduced here, let me say that I have added the plug-in to Netscape and it works a treat. Well done Noteworthy for another super piece of kit. I accessed Fred's "Caverns" to try it out and was delighted with the results. A right click allowed me to save the file to disk. However, when I opened the file in Noteworthy it just didn't look the same. The staves were stretched out across the screen and no longer had the usual nice neat appearance of Noteworhty files. This is a minor inconvenience and in no way interferes with the intended use of the plug-in.

Reply #14
Fred makes extensive use of hidden items to control the overall sound that is created in Caverns. Obviously, these items are visible in the editor. Fred has done a great job in improving the overall presentation of the piece when viewed in the browser plug-in and the player.

Reply #15
I couldn't agree more. My comments were intended to be in praise of both the Noteworthy browser plug-in AND of Fred, and not as a criticism.

Reply #16
Hello, I am Joel Sappington, a percussionist, brass player, strings, and woodwind player. I am in a High School band, I play xylophone for marching band. Me and my friend, Joe Gatlin, are wondering if we can make a public presentation of your, "Caverns" we will use nothing but real instruments, kind of like a ensamble, consisting of about from 5 to 15 musicians. This will include, bells, tubular bells, various brass instruments, vibes, and several "toys"

We may only get together and do this for fun, but we will ask to be able to perform it at a concert, for the symphonic band.

Joe and I, are composers also, so we understand if you do not wish to give us permission to use your peice. Email me back at adder5000@hotmail.com to give me your permission, denial, or whatever you may choose to tell me. A quick response would be appreciated.

Thank you very much,
-Joel Sappington