Skip to main content
Topic: Very long half note (Read 789 times) previous topic - next topic

Very long half note

Good morning to you.
I find myself with a half note (dotted) which continues for four measures with the same syllable and ends with a quarter note, also dotted. I would like to understand how I can hear the prolongation of the note (sound) so that the harmony of the measures involved is full.
Thank you.
Lorenzo

Re: Very long half note

Reply #1
Hi Lorenzo,
is this something you want to do, or something that's happening and you don't understand why?
Can you post a file?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Hi Lawrie,
after re-reading what I posted, I realized that my statement was rather confusing. Remedy now, attaching a jpg file.
In the second measure (voice of the first tenors) the word "Girolemin" continues until the 7th measure and then repeats with "min" until the 11th.
They are two long melismas perfectly reproduced from a graphic point of view.
I would also like to be able to HEAR these two long notes both as a single voice (Shift+F5) and as a voice that "participates" in the harmony of the song.
I ask if there is a User tool, a Manage objects or a Performance style to achieve this.
Thank you and have a happy evening.
Lorenzo

Reply #3
In practice I would like the two "-min" (Gi-ro-le-min and min) to be heard throughout the entire length of the Eb.

Reply #4
???? ???? ???? ????
They should play as you expect.
Did you use a piano or guitar (or another "vanishing") voice?  ;)

Reply #5
I ask if there is a User tool, a Manage objects or a Performance style to achieve this.
You might want to visit nwc-scriptorium.org and select Custom Dynamics. As Flurmy mentioned, you can't have a percussive instrument (like a piano) selected--only an instrument requiring effort for the full duration of your (tied) notes would work, such as a voice (oohs, ahas), wind, brass, or bowed strings.

If changing the instrument doesn't work by itself, try to install the above tool.

Good luck!
Since 1998

Reply #6
<snip>
In the second measure (voice of the first tenors) the word "Girolemin" continues until the 7th measure and then repeats with "min" until the 11th.
They are two long melismas perfectly reproduced from a graphic point of view.
While I don't actually use it myself*, the "melismatic.nw" object should be able to do this for you, but you will need to have layered staves.

* I may need to change this...

I would also like to be able to HEAR these two long notes both as a single voice (Shift+F5) and as a voice that "participates" in the harmony of the song.
Again, you will need layered staves.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
In the attachment is my version of the tenors - simply written on two staves, with melismatic.nw.

And here is a Youtube of NWC's + Reaper's rendition of it, using Olympus Micro Choir in Kontakt Player (see attached PNG). First, I press F11 so that the two staves are shown as a single one; then I play it - I think one can hear all the notes of the voices quite distinctly.

H.M.

Reply #8
I thank all my friends for their usual great availability.
I'm doing some tests, I think I'll use instruments with a "soft" sound even if some are really hard to listen to, especially for a deaf person like me (I have two "bionic" ears, cochlear implants).
Happy Sunday.
Lorenzo