Skip to main content
Topic: Lyric positioning after a new boundary (Read 850 times) previous topic - next topic

Lyric positioning after a new boundary

(N.B. Look at the print preview)
Why the refrain lyrics go so high?
How can I have them in the first line position instead?

Re: Lyric positioning after a new boundary

Reply #1
Changes to the lower boundary move the lyrics - kinda makes sense I guess.  Anyhow, if I need to reduce space used by a staff that has lyrics, I try to arrange things so that I change the upper boundary as far as possible.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Lawrie, beside moving all the lyrics above the staff, what else could be done?

Reply #3
For situations like this, I usually put the refrain (single line) text on the final verse rather than on the first verse.

Reply #4
Yes, Mike, that's what I do usually, but here it doesn't work.
Why? Because I'm an idiot!

The first line is written "strophe, chorus" and is fine.
All the others are written as "strophe, chorus, strophe", with the chorus replaced by underscores to avoid repeating it.
As you can easily understand, in all the lines except the first the second strophe never appears because is after the end of the staff.  :-[
So, guess what happens if I add the first line chorus after the second strophe of the last line!

Forgive me and forget it all. Sorry.   ::)

Reply #5
Hi, Flurmy,

Looking at the score, I have had a similar problem in the past when the number of lyric lines differs during a song.

I resolved it by defining 2 lyrics staves, one for the strophes and one for the chorus. (layered over each other ánd over another staff).
Then I could play with the boundary changes (start collapsible section and cancel/forbid collapse from this bar) to achieve what I wanted.

An example is in "SAK_0909-2-IkHadEenDroomVanEenWereld.nwc" which may clarify what I mean. (A picture/example is worth 1000 words 8) )

Best regards,
Bart

Reply #6
Lawrie, beside moving all the lyrics above the staff, what else could be done?
I think you misunderstood, I leave the lyrics on the bottom, but try to only make boundary changes on the top.  This isn't always possible/useful, of course.

The other thing I do is where only a single lyric line exists, it might be best placed in the 2nd or 3rd verse etc. for those occasions where I don't have any choice but to do boundary changes on the bottom.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
Thank you, Lawrie and Bart.
Those are indeed other possibilities.