Skip to main content
Topic: Merry Christmas 2023 (Read 2429 times) previous topic - next topic

Merry Christmas 2023

Hi all,
It's just ticked over into Christmas Day here in the land of Oz and I just wanted to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous New Year.

I hope you are all able to enjoy this season by sharing it with family and friends.  Great conversations, great meals together, time spent just loving each other and, of course, making wonderful music together.

Later this morning I'll be at a service at my church celebrating the birth of Jesus.  This year our MD has me playing my Tuba of all things :)  Rehearsals have been a buzz, but the real thing today will be a wonderful sharing with my friends and family.

I hope and pray your day will be at least as joyous.

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: Merry Christmas 2023

Reply #1
Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

Now is a good time to repost my favorite music theory video, which you shared with us a few years back.

Reply #2
I wish you all peace, serenity and health.
In the world justice, tolerance and brotherhood.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Lorenzo

Reply #3
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to one and all!
Since 1998

Reply #4
15 hours to go until Christmas Day here in the great Pacific Northwest corner of the United States. Happy to be playing trumpet and singing at tonight's Candlelight Service to celebrate the birth of Christ.

Wishing all in the NWC community a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Michael

Reply #5
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year, all! Keep up the music!
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #6
Christmas?
Today 21 °C, a sunny day, a nice warm Sirocco, a stroll in T-shirt...
Happy Easter!  :)

Little rain, no snow on the mountains.
This Summer we'll have to drink wine...  ;)

Reply #7
Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

Now is a good time to repost my favorite music theory video, which you shared with us a few years back.

Thanks Mike.
I'd forgotten I'd shared that.
Here's another, though sadly not on YouTube so you'll just have to sing it yourself.  :))

http://zoundz.pardyline.com.au/smile/AussieChristmasSong.jpg

Plus a couple of others that ARE on YouTube (FYI, a "Joey" is a baby kangaroo, and a "boomer" is a *HUGE male kangaroo):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu76GhRO9Yk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHTFJaHkSIA

* And I do mean HUGE.  I, personally, have seen big red 'roos that sat at just about 180cm (6 feet) on their haunches, whilst a customer of my father had a tame big red that could sit on his haunches and look down on you over a 180cm (6 foot) chicken wire fence.  That would make him at least 210cm (7 feet) tall.  Remember, these sizes were all on their HAUNCHES. 

When they're "on the hop" the average 'roo can cover 9m (30 feet) PER HOP - talk about long jump records.  The big reds can do more, but I don't know by how much.  From a standing start the first hop can easily be as far as 2m (6 feet 6 inches) - remember, that's a standing start - no forward momentum and no energy stored in their tendons to help.
Likewise, when on the move, the average 'roo can jump as high as 3m (10 feet).  Or 1.2m (4 feet) from a standing start!

Seeing a kangaroo travelling at speed is a truly awe inspiring sight - they are amazing creatures.  They're also dangerous.

Reply #8
In the Auckland (NZ) zoo, on the fence of the wallaby there is a sign: "Please, when inside take care of your children. They can be dangerous! (the children)"  :)
Maybe I have a photo of it.

Reply #10
Not just music and notes!

Like the fire of a match in the darkness,
like the snow that falls and covers the ice,
like the clear sky after a downpour.
Like bread pecked by a robin.

Like the full moon on the night,
like the light wind on the valley,
like the silence after the storm.
Like a flower blooming in a jar.

Like a lullaby on a cot,
like the sleep of a sleeping child,
like the stories told by dad.
Like the night Baby Jesus comes.

Like a kiss scented with love,
like a warm caress in the hand.
like coming home from afar.
May the coming year be so for you.

Happy New Year!
Lorenzo

Reply #11
Dear all,

I meant to send this weeks ago, but as you all know, Christmas is an incredibly busy time for church musicians, and composers! Best wishes for all in the coming year. I am always thankful for this community which is able to support my composition adventures.

I am hoping to finish my doctorate in composition in 2024! My research is finished, and my dissertation is partially complete. I need to balance that out with real world music making and conducting, but I would not have it any other way.

PS, I just had a look at the pricing of muse score, and was really shocked by the amount of money they want on a weekly basis!! They sent an email about 90% off, but it is still very expensive and I don’t want to have to pay every week for composition software!

Reply #12
<snip>
PS, I just had a look at the pricing of muse score, and was really shocked by the amount of money they want on a weekly basis!! They sent an email about 90% off, but it is still very expensive and I don’t want to have to pay every week for composition software!
Huh?  I'm pretty sure Musescore is supposed to be free...

Reply #13
You are confusing musescore.org (the free program) with musescore.com (the subscription service).