Skip to main content
Topic: NWC files not opening properly (Read 2122 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC files not opening properly

My NWC song files are not opening properly.  When I click on a song file, it opens up the NWC program but not the song itself - it is just blank.  I then have to click on the Open File icon, search for and click on the song file, and then it opens.  Up until now, when I click on a song file it opens the song file directly, as it should.  Has anyone else had this problem, or know a solution?   

Re: NWC files not opening properly

Reply #1
Have there been recent changes to your system, like a Windows update?

I haven't seen the behaviour you're describing in NWC, but I have certainly seen it in other software.  This makes me think there's most likely a Windows glitch of some kind.

A google search using this search term "Double click file and application opens but doesn't open file" returned a bunch of results - many, as usual, didn't appear to be particularly helpful, but that's my best suggestion for now.

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
After you open NWC, click on "History". The NWC files you have opened most recently will be on top.  HTH
Since 1998

Reply #4
Thank you for all the suggestions.  I downloaded the viewer, then told the files to only open with NWC 2.75a.2.  And for some reason they now open.  Maybe the viewer did make some necessary changes in the registry?
I should mention that Windows 11 had not updated recently, so was unrelated to that, and the files (and shortcut song links on my desktop) were working fine until earlier today.  So I don't understand it, but that's OK with me - the song files are opening again. :-)

Reply #5
My NWC song files are not opening properly.  When I click on a song file, it opens up the NWC program but not the song itself - it is just blank.  I then have to click on the Open File icon, search for and click on the song file, and then it opens.  Up until now, when I click on a song file it opens the song file directly, as it should.  Has anyone else had this problem, or know a solution?   
I have noted the same problem but found that double clicking (slowly) does open the selected file. However the timing between each single click is critical. The issue is timing and feels like a BUG but is it NWC or Microsoft ?

PhillipUK

Reply #6
You might want to check your system setup, Phillip, particularly your mouse settings.

It might be your hardware or your operating system.  I recently had to replace my keyboard, and the Microsoft keyboard software tries to govern my mouse too. The result is clicking, which used to be very quick, is unreliable and slow.   I use an old wireless optical Logitech mouse, an HP desktop pc running Windows 10  and a Microsoft articulated keyboard.  Compared to the old articulated KB that I used for 15 or 20 years, this one is a piece of cr >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(