Skip to main content
Topic: What is this? (Read 2096 times) previous topic - next topic

What is this?

I can guess the meaning but I never met those symbols before.
Someone knows exactly?

Re: What is this?

Reply #1
Hey Flurmy.
can't help you with this one.  Like you I can pretty much guess, but I don't definitely know the answer.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
I wonder if they elongated rectangular noteheads are meant to be harmonic noteheads, such as NWC provides in the Noteheads submenu of the Notes menu?

Please don't ask me what a harmonic notehead is meant for, I have no clue.

Reply #3
My own "wild guess" is that it's some form of shorthand for a tied chord, maybe intended on a handwritten score, where the composer didn't want to have to write in all of the notes for tied chords. It seems like an intuitive (albeit nonstandard) way of showing tied chords that would take less time to write and be a little less cluttered on a multi-instrument score.

Reply #4
Please don't ask me what a harmonic notehead is meant for, I have no clue.
When a bowed string player plays it, the string is barely touched at a node allowing only certain overtones to sound.
Since 1998

Reply #5
My own "wild guess" is that it's some form of shorthand for a tied chord, maybe intended on a handwritten score, where the composer didn't want to have to write in all of the notes for tied chords. It seems like an intuitive (albeit nonstandard) way of showing tied chords that would take less time to write and be a little less cluttered on a multi-instrument score.
All of us think the same - but it looks very "locally custom-invented" ... Is there no explanation at the bottom, top, back, ... of the score?

H.M.

Reply #6
Is there no explanation at the bottom, top, back, ... of the score?
Of course, no explanation at all.  :(
Japanese music publisher.

N.B. I think like Mike and I'm sure it's the right way.