Skip to main content
Topic: not loud enough (Read 4659 times) previous topic - next topic

not loud enough

Hello,

When I screen recording my keyed song in Noteworthy. How can we make it load enough, so that when my choir member play my youtube it is loud enough.

Thank you

Frank

Re: not loud enough

Reply #1
What is your method of recording? Do you create an MP3? - with tools like Audacity etc. you could increase the volume until short before overmodulation ...

H.M.

Reply #2
What is your method of recording? Do you create an MP3? - with tools like Audacity etc. you could increase the volume until short before overmodulation ...

H.M.
I record first with Live Screen Capture, then I edit the video just to cut in the beginning  or at the end, then I produce the MPeg4 using Corel Video Studio, but when I posted into my youtube channel, the sound is not loud enough, expecially if my choir members want to play youtube in their cell phone, to learn each voice. It is not loud enogh. You have any idea how to improve the sound?

Thank you

Frank

Reply #3
There are a number of factors that will affect the final volume of your scores:
  • The instrument you choose for the score will affect the volume. Some instruments are louder than others.
  • You can insert a Fortissimo (fff) in your score so that the notes which follow are at the maximum volume.
  • Be aware that YouTube has its own volume control, which operates in conjunction with your computer's or phone's volume setting.

Reply #4
Why not distribute midi files instead? With the vanBasco player, the choir members can mute, play, or highlight any part and it also displays lyrics.
Since 1998

Reply #5
Why not distribute midi files instead? With the vanBasco player, the choir members can mute, play, or highlight any part and it also displays lyrics.

How can we do it with our Noteworthy Warren, could you educate me how to do it? Could you attached here the sample that you made?

Thank you
Frank

Reply #6
How can we do it with our Noteworthy Warren, could you educate me how to do it? Could you attached here the sample that you made?
I didnt know about vanBasco - I tried it:
a) Install the player from http://www.vanbasco.com/download.html and start it
b) Export your NWC score as MIDI (File->Export... -> store MIDI at some place)
c) Open file in vanBasco (This Computer -> ... wherever you stored the MIDI
d) Press "PLAY" in the player window
... and off we go!; the text is shown and nicely highlighted.

(It seems to have problems with UTF-8 chars ... my umlauts were garbled ... I can live with this).

H.M.

Reply #7
Thank you  HM, I got it right. It is good in highlighting the text, but my choir members they do not have the player in their computer nor cellphone. Can it work?, or I screen record it on my computer then I posting the the video to my youtube channel and they can watch it from my youtube? in their Cell phone?

Thank you

Frank

Reply #8
... and off we go!; the text is shown and nicely highlighted.

Hello HM,  when I expoerted to midi, the letter " O" is not incluuded in text of midi. Do you know why?. How can we make the 3 verses in the text. We can only have verse 1 on the Karaoke text. Do you have any idea?

Thank you,
Frank

Reply #9
Hello HM,  when I expoerted to midi, the letter " O" is not incluuded in text of midi. Do you know why?. How can we make the 3 verses in the text. We can only have verse 1 on the Karaoke text. Do you have any idea?

Thank you,
Frank

Thank you,
Frank

Reply #10
Sorry HM, forgot to attached the picture in question.

Reply #11
Software ... has it bugs, or at least "specificational problems". I wrote the first measure of your song (see attachment FranksO.nwc), exported it to MIDI and converted it to text. The result is:
Code: [Select · Download]
0, 0, Header, 0, 1, 192
1, 0, Start_track
1, 0, Text_t, "By <Name>"
1, 0, Copyright_t, "Copyright © 2022 <Name>"
1, 0, Copyright_t, "All Rights Reserved"
1, 0, Text_t, "Generated by NoteWorthy Composer"
1, 0, Lyric_t, "O "
1, 0, Tempo, 500000
1, 0, Control_c, 0, 7, 127
1, 0, Control_c, 0, 10, 64
1, 0, Key_signature, 2, "major"
1, 0, Time_signature, 4, 2, 24, 8
1, 0, Note_on_c, 0, 69, 110
1, 160, Note_on_c, 0, 69, 0
1, 192, Lyric_t, "there'll "
1, 192, Note_on_c, 0, 68, 110
1, 286, Note_on_c, 0, 68, 0
1, 288, Lyric_t, "be "
One can see that Noteworthy emits the "O" syllable very early in the MIDI file, before the tempo, key, and time signatures. I don't know whether this is ok by a MIDI or Karaoke file standard, but it seems that the vanBasco player does not like it.

I tried what happened when one puts a rest at the beginning of the score - see the FranksOWithRest.nwc attachment. Voila, it works - the MIDI starts now as below, with the O after all these "signatures"; and vanBasco shows it as expected:
0, 0, Header, 0, 1, 192
1, 0, Start_track
1, 0, Tempo, 500000
1, 768, Lyric_t, "O "
1, 768, Note_on_c, 0, 69, 110
So a workaround is putting in a leading full rest and make it invisible. If you don't want to wait for all of it when playing, you could put an invisible tempo of quarter=750 (Noteworthy's maximum tempo) before the rest; and then of course a tempo marker for your intended tempo after the rest.

Yes, it's tricky sometimes ...

Re multiple verses, I added another one (see FranksOWithRestAndTwoVerses.nwc attachment) - at least for me, vanBasco played both texts from an exported MIDI (which I would expect, as Noteworthy simply exports one verse after the other ...).

H.M.

Reply #12
Thank you  HM, I got it right. It is good in highlighting the text, but my choir members they do not have the player in their computer nor cellphone. Can it work?, or I screen record it on my computer then I posting the the video to my youtube channel and they can watch it from my youtube? in their Cell phone?
If you screen record the vanBasco session I suspect you'll be back to the original problem of not enough volume on Youtube...

vanBasco will only really work if your people have the player available to them.  If you are going to have to work around its availability then I think you'd be better off trying to resolve the volume problem instead.

Don't get me wrong, I actually a fan pf vanBasco, but I'm not sure it's the right solution in this context.

Of course, there are Karaoke apps for both iPhone and Android that display lyrics so exporting to MIDI is still viable.  FYI a karaoke file is just a MIDI file that contains lyrics.  Sometimes they will have a .mid extension, sometimes they will have a .kar extension.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #13
vanBasco will only really work if your people have the player available to them.  If you are going to have to work around its availability then I think you'd be better off trying to resolve the volume problem instead.

Thank you Lawrie for your idea, yes I have tried it the volume back again not loud enough, but I can solve the problem by reworking the video in Corel Viceo Studio and adjust the volume to 500 resulted in a loud volume. Let me see if I posted it to youtube is it as loud as it is?.
Now I need to solve the problem of not showing the first "O", I will try to understand what HM exsplained.

Thank you,

Frank

Reply #14
SoRe multiple verses, I added another one (see FranksOWithRestAndTwoVerses.nwc attachment) - at least for me, vanBasco played both texts from an exported MIDI (which I would expect, as Noteworthy simply exports one verse after the other ...).

Thanks H M for your idea, I will try to make like you did. Regarding multi verses, how if I copy the whole set of 1 verse lyrircs and staff   and then paste them along in one staff, then I exported it to midi for van Basco to make it Karaoke. Is it a good idea? or can it work?.

Thank you,

Frank

Reply #15
SYes, it's tricky sometimes ...

H M, Yes after I make like you did, the "O" is shown in the Karaoke, but how can I make the length of the rest measure is short like yours.

Thank you,

Frank

Reply #16
HM.

This is the one I made, the measure is too long

Frank

Reply #17
<snip>
So a workaround is putting in a leading full rest and make it invisible. If you don't want to wait for all of it when playing, you could put an invisible tempo of quarter=750 (Noteworthy's maximum tempo) before the rest; and then of course a tempo marker for your intended tempo after the rest.
H.M.
Hi H.M.
I was just looking at your examples and it got me to wondering...
In the "FranksO.nwc" version there is no tempo setting, thus it runs at the NWC default of 120bpm which of course must end up in the MIDI stream.  So, what happens to the MIDI stream if you actually put a tempo marking in?  Maybe prior to, say, the time signature?
Do you still need a rest to get the "O" to show in vanBasco?  (do ya like the rhyming?  :))  )

BTW, what MIDI to Text tool are you using?

Reply #18
So, what happens to the MIDI stream if you actually put a tempo marking in?  Maybe prior to, say, the time signature?
Do you still need a rest to get the "O" to show in vanBasco?  (do ya like the rhyming?  :))  )
The attached NWC file yields the following MIDI:
0, 0, Header, 0, 1, 192
1, 0, Start_track
1, 0, Lyric_t, "O "
1, 0, Tempo, 500000
1, 0, Tempo, 495867
1, 0, Note_on_c, 0, 69, 110
1, 160, Note_on_c, 0, 69, 0
1, 192, Lyric_t, "there'll "
BPM 121 is encoded in MIDI as "495867". And the O is still before all  those signatures ...

O, show, vanBasco - what a flow of rhymes, bro!

BTW, what MIDI to Text tool are you using?
midicsv and csvmidi from fourmilab.ch.

H.M.

Reply #19
Hey H.M.
Thanks bro ;)

Shame the tempo marking didn't help  :(

Wonder if this unexpected MIDI export quirk should be called a bug or a design flaw...

Reply #22
Re multiple verses, I added another one (see FranksOWithRestAndTwoVerses.nwc attachment) - at least for me, vanBasco played both texts from an exported MIDI (which I would expect, as Noteworthy simply exports one verse after the other ...).

Hi H.M.,
How can we make it if 3 verses, because my song is in 2 langugages, English and Indonesian, and one in Batak Dialect. Batak is my tribe in Indonesia who has a unique tradition you can go to Lake Toba and you can see the beautiful Lake. A missionery from Germany, named Nomensen came to this land long time ago and made the land a Christian land, majority is Protestant.

Thank you.

Frank

Reply #23
Regarding the missing "o" ... I seem to recall that this is a "feature" of vanBasco. Many MIDI file authors put copyright information as the first lyric syllable, so they decided it was best to just skip it.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #24
It seems to me that they should have offered a configuration setting in the program to control the lyric skipping behavior.

Reply #25
Back to Frank's original question
When I screen recording my keyed song in Noteworthy. How can we make it load enough, so that when my choir member play my youtube it is loud enough.
It might help to reset the volume (called Dynamic Velocities) for each dynamic setting.

I think this can only be done one staff at a time. :'(   It would be nicer to be able to do the entire score at one time, but I don't know if that's possible. 

Anyway, select your staff, then select the Instrument tab in the Staff Properties (F2) menu and increase the default velocities for each dynamic.

Reply #26
I think this can only be done one staff at a time. :'(   It would be nicer to be able to do the entire score at one time, but I don't know if that's possible.

Thank you David, you are owesome, in fact once we change the default, it works louder for the rest and even for the new songs that we make. It helps me very much, I do not have to make it louder when I want to edit the screen recording and put it on my youtube channel.

Again thank you very  much.

Frank