Skip to main content
Topic: how to alternate note values for a three note chord. (Read 1840 times) previous topic - next topic

how to alternate note values for a three note chord.

I can make a chord where the top note is a half-note, the next a quarter-note and the lowest, a quarter note.  However
I never can make a chord where the top is a half-note, the next is a quarter-note and the lowest is another half-note.
It will not let me do it... so I convert the lowest to a quarter-note (or the same as the 2nd value)

so half,quarter,quarter chord works but half, quarter, half does not.

Re: how to alternate note values for a three note chord.

Reply #1
You need to use layering if you want to do that.
Rich.

Reply #2
I was afraid of that.  One or two chords in the whole piece and it seems I have to create yards of bars!?
I'll just cheap on the last.  Thanks for your input.

Reply #3
I was afraid of that.  One or two chords in the whole piece and it seems I have to create yards of bars!?
<snip>
Yeah, it can be a bit of a pain sometimes, but it isn't really that hard.  Make one bar with a hidden whole rest and a barline and copy and paste it as many times as needed to get to the place where you need the chord.  You can even copy and paste it say, 4 times, then copy and paste the 4 bar block to make it go faster.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Or just copy the whole staff onto a new staff, select the whole new staff, mute all the notes, and then change and unmute only the ones you need. (NOTE: you can't just use the staff-muting function: that won't allow individual notes to be unmuted. But selecting the whole staff and then muting all notes simultaneously is almost as quick. The process: press <alt><enter> to bring up the Properties dialog, choose the Notes tab, and click on the check box marked "mute".)

Reply #5
Incidentally, layers are the primary method of mixing notes of different durations on the same staff in EVERY notation program that I know of. NWC is no different in that respect, except that it allows unlimited layers. Most other notation programs limit you to four.

Reply #6
I have a tool you would need to download and install. Create a new staff and copy an existing staff to it. When you run restStaff on it, you should have a staff full of whole rests keeping clefs, key signatures, etc. intact. restStaff.js
Since 1998