Skip to main content
Topic: Dividing a song into sections (Read 2341 times) previous topic - next topic

Dividing a song into sections

Please forgive a newbie question - I am just trying to get to grips with Noteworthy.

I am trying to typeset a Christmas carol (The Boar's Head Carol).  This song has four voices.  The four voices are in unison for the verses, and break out into 4-part harmony for the refrain.  Ideally, I would like a single staff for the verses (with lyrics underneath), followed by two layered staves (two voices on each staff) for the refrain, the lyrics in the middle.  There is also a repeat in the refrain.

OK, I have worked out how to do the layering, and also how to manage the repeat.  But how do I get a single staff for the verses that then breaks out into two staves for the refrain?

Thanks in advance.  My questions hopefully will become less newbie as I learn how to use the software ;-)

Kevin

Re: Dividing a song into sections

Reply #1
Use the menu that opens when you press the right square bracket ] to find the commands to start and cancel collapsible staffs. 

Reply #2
Thank you, I am beginning to get the hang of it.  I still have a few issues around "Flow Direction" and layering, but I'm working on it.  No doubt I shall have other questions  ;)

BTW, how do I insert a pause on a note.  If "pause" is the right name for it ... that arch with a dot in the middle of it that goes over a note.

Thanks

Reply #3
G'day,
<snip>
BTW, how do I insert a pause on a note.  If "pause" is the right name for it ... that arch with a dot in the middle of it that goes over a note.
That's a Fermata, or pause, or "bird's eye" and probably a few more I haven't heard.  Pause works for me  ;)

You'll find it in the |Insert|Tempo Variance...| dialogue as a Fermata in the list box.  Press E to get to the same place without using the menus.

OR, if you have selectors in a toolbar, press D for "Dynamics and Symbols Selector" and it will be in the window that appears.  You don't get the normal dialogue here, just place the object.

If you want the pause to actually take time, you need to select a delay from the main Tempo Variance dialogue box.  Be careful to only put an actual delay in ONE staff.  Otherwise the delays aggregate and will end up longer than you want.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
That's a Fermata, or pause, or "bird's eye" and probably a few more I haven't heard.

Pig's eye here.

Reply #5
Thank you both of you for that.  I'm getting to grips with the software, but I find my main problem is vocabulary ... what to search for in the documentation.  I would never have thought of looking for "Decorated Bar Line" for my repeats.  Though I should have got "Fermata", being married to an Italian!  Bus stops, and all that. ;)