Skip to main content
Topic: Note in number (Read 3170 times) previous topic - next topic

Note in number

Hello, for Indonesian people, although we have been living in the USA, it is still easier to learn songs in our church, with singing it in Number notes.  I can key the number in the lyric place but I have problem if the notes are sharps or flats, I have to onward slash for the sharp and back slash for the flats for numbers.
Any idea how can I do it? for exmapler 1, I have ro onward slash it for the sharp, and back slash fro flat. Also I have problems in making the 1 short line or 2 short lines for the caps of 1/8 note and 1/16 note.

Thank you

Frank

Re: Note in number

Reply #1
Well, why not using simply "#" and "b" instead of slashes?

Reply #2
Well, why not using simply "#" and "b" instead of slashes?

Ok how about the  flag, or the cap on the number for  1/8 not an 2 caps for 1/16

Thank you

Frank

Reply #3
Frank, I'm curious,  Western music notation is a written music language meant to tell the reader what music should be played and how.  You don't have to read English to understand most of it.   You're asking about a different music language which  
is still easier to learn songs in our church, with singing it in Number notes.  I can key the number in the lyric place
I get it, but you've been copying music notation for some months now.  I think that is an excellent way to learn to read music -  I learned the bass clef by doing that and transposing trombone parts (concert pitch bass clef notes) for french horn (treble clef, transposing instrument).  You know what note is found at each line or space of either staff, you know the normal time signatures, you probably know your key signatures, and I'm sure you know the differences between a whole note, a half note, a quarter note, etc.  I doubt if you need the easier way to learn songs yourself; it must be for your members.

I can almost feel a lightning bolt getting ready to strike me for saying it, but church music is often sung by people who can't carry a tune better than me, and believe me, I can't.  Why do you need a musical notation program like Noteworthy Composer to write for people who cannot read music and don't mind not singing what's written? 

Regardless, back in 2005 there was a discussion in this forum about lettered noteheads.  One guest said
What I was looking for was something similar to what Hal Leonard does in his 'Easy Play' books; placing the letter inside the notehead, either black on white or white on black, depending on the note.
   I wonder if lettered notes would be useful to you?
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=5142.msg32738#msg32738

The result was a new font, NoteHedz, available  from the Scriptorium.

The 2005 discussion carried on a few years later, and Opagust provided his user tool  OGNoteNames.

Rick G. (sadly no longer with us) also gave an example of lettered noteheads done without the user tool, but doesn't seem to have explained how it can be done. 

I suspect you might like using the lettered noteheads.  You might need to educate your congregation, but there isn't much you'd need to teach them. 

Reply #4
Hi Frank,
as you didn't show any examples I wasn't sure what you were talking about, so I had a look at wikipedia and have been suitably educated:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbered_musical_notation

At first I wasn't sure NWC is really the best tool for this, and as it stands it isn't, BUT it strikes me that it might be a good candidate for a NWC user tool, or perhaps a user tool/user object combination.  If you can find someone to write it...  NWC's user based extensibility makes it a much better candidate than I first thought.

Otherwise manually entering the numbering would quickly get very tedious.  Especially trying to place the octave dots.

It also occurs to me that a purpose made font could make this a lot easier.  One with octave dots in "no space" characters similarly to how I've made lines and brackets etc. in my *Dings font suites.

I also note the limitations mentioned in the article, particularly (Bolding mine):
Compared with the standard notation, the numbered notation is very compact for just the melody line or monophonic parts. It is even possible to transcribe music in between the lines of text. Transcribing harmony can be done by vertically stacking the notes, but this advantage diminishes as the harmony becomes more complex (or polyphonicity increases). The standard notation, with its graphical notation, is better in representing the duration and timing among multiple notes.

I can see how for your apparent needs these limitations are probably not a big issue.

I'm sorry that I can't think of an easy method without creating tools.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
Good morning to you all.
I speak not on the subject but to give due credit to those who care, with kindness and competence (often these two aspects are in conflict with each other...), to provide information for the correct and satisfactory use of NWC. It must be said! This is the function of a discussion group. I am always admired and happy to see the calm and exhaustive answers to the questions posed in the forum, first of all mine. Well done you all!
Lorenzo

Reply #6
Hello Frank,

Five years ago a wrote this number notation tool, which might solve your problem.

I just ran it on the third (green) staff of the song 'Joy to the world', which is a song we sing in our choir.
You can see the result in the attachment.
It looks messy in edit mode, so you have to select 'Viewer mode' (F11) or Print Preview.
Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #7
H

I'm sorry that I can't think of an easy method without creating tools.

Thank you Lawrie for your idea, for the time being we used the western notation/Noteworthy composer facility.

Frank

Reply #8
Hello Frank,

I just ran it on the third (green) staff of the song 'Joy to the world', which is a song we sing in our choir.

Thank you Opagust. It is good. How can you make the color of the active staff and how can we make it singing the whole verses. Is there any facility to highlight only the active staff one?.

Frank

Reply #9

Opagust.
I play yours and it comes to my mind we put different instrument for each voice. Do you know what is the name of instrument that we can assign for Soprano, and different instrument for Alto.. and so forth, so that they can listen and follow their voices easily.
Thank you.

Frank

Reply #10
Thank you Opagust. It is good. How can you make the color of the active staff and how can we make it singing the whole verses. Is there any facility to highlight only the active staff one?.

Frank

You can change the color of a staff by going to the 'Staff Properties' dialog (F2nafter positioning on the Staff), clicking the tab 'Visual' and choosing the color in the 'Color' box.

I don't know what you mean by 'how can we make it singing the whole verses'.

Reply #11
Opagust.
I play yours and it comes to my mind we put different instrument for each voice. Do you know what is the name of instrument that we can assign for Soprano, and different instrument for Alto.. and so forth, so that they can listen and follow their voices easily.
Thank you.

Frank
Our choir is a men's choir, so we don't have soprano nor alto. Most of our songs have 4 voices Tenor1, Tenor 2, Bariton and Bass.
In this file all staves have the instrument 'Flute', but that depends on each individual song, which I think sounds the best.
But since I'm just a moderate singer and have no musical education, I can't give you good advise.
For personal rehearsal purposes, I create different files for each voice and usually set one voice instrument to 'Choir Aahs', and  stereo pan = 0(left),  and then stereo pan = 127 for the other voices, and use the head phones to listen and sing along.

Reply #12

I don't know what you mean by 'how can we make it singing the whole verses'.

I meant, how can you make it continue playing after verse 1 continue playing to 2 and 3 after 3 it stops. Mine after verse 1 it stops

Thank you

Frank

Reply #13
I meant, how can you make it continue playing after verse 1 continue playing to 2 and 3 after 3 it stops. Mine after verse 1 it stops

Thank you

Frank

Just insert a bar at the end of each staff,  with Style = 'Local Repeat Close' and Repeat Count = 3.

Reply #14
Just insert a bar at the end of each staff,  with Style = 'Local Repeat Close' and Repeat Count = 3.
Thank you Opagust, I will try to make as you explained.
I am too a moderate singer Opagust, We just formed a Senior Male Quartet at Loma LInda Indonesian SDA church in California. So we like  you said, 1st tenor, 2nd tenor, Baritone, Bass. Could you post the link of your youtube or Video?> I like to hear your Male  singging group.

Reply #16
Thank you Opagust for your video, I watched it. Was it in your church or just in a social gathering?

Frank

Reply #17
Thank you Opagust for your video, I watched it. Was it in your church or just in a social gathering?

Frank
It was an unanounced gig in a cafe, a week before we were in a live show of Belgium's got talent with 'A lion sleeps tonight'.
Admire our jungle outfits in attachment.

Reply #18
Thank you. Good to watch it

Frank