Skip to main content
Topic: HELP! - NWC File won't open (Read 2942 times) previous topic - next topic

HELP! - NWC File won't open

Hi all,

I just spend several days writing a SATB score. This morning my Windows system crashed and I had to force my laptop to reboot. Now my file won't open anymore. Same with the backup file.

I get no messages from NWC to help me analyze the problem. It just sits there and ignores my request to open the file.

Other files (also self-made) open without problems.

Any ideas how I can analyze and/or repair the file? Anyone? Please!!!
I'm really in deep s**t here. I don't even have a hardcopy of the score!

Desperate in Germany

Bernhard

Re: HELP! - NWC File won't open

Reply #1
Hi Bernhard

First of all, check to see if you have Auto save/ Recovery switched on.

Do this by looking in the Tools/Options/File tab. Also check the frequency.

If you have, then look in the folders tab to see where your autosave files are.
In that folder, if you have it switched on, should be  copies of your file going back for some time (if the frequency is low). They will have a file extension of .asv.  You will need to change this to .nwc

If you don't have this switched on, then perhaps your only hope is the recycle bin although I don't hold out much hope there.

R.

Rich.

Reply #2
Thank you for your fast answer. I checked the settings and automatic saving was actually enabled, but the folder was empty. All I have is the .bak file.

In the meantime I tried opening my file with a HEX editor. It is completely blank. Hex00 from start to end. Same for the .bak file. Looks like there is nothing to be salvaged.

I feel like crying. Maybe I should write a song about it, har har...

Reply #3
AAs far as I remember, if you have your back up files folder the same as your autosave files folder, then it doesn't work.
For some reason they have to be different folders. Sorry, I know that doesn't help you.

Not sure that there is anything else I can suggest.

R.

Rich.

Reply #4
As a very last resort, you can try Recuva and/or ChkDsk...
Good luck!

Reply #5
AAs far as I remember, if you have your back up files folder the same as your autosave files folder, then it doesn't work.
For some reason they have to be different folders. Sorry, I know that doesn't help you.

Not sure that there is anything else I can suggest.

R.

Is this true about the file locations? Why did you edit this statement?

Thanks

Reply #6
I edited it because when I went back and checked it - it wasn't true.  It was better to score it out rather than delete it.

The confusing issue is that the auto backups give you a series of files going back in time.

The autosave, just gives you one file that will be there if your machine crashes out for some reason and you have not saved . (As far as I can see. ) Once you have a current save, then there is no longer an autosave file in the folder. This is what confused me at first because I was checking after saving.

Rich.

Reply #7
 Thank you for clarifying. I am sensitive about this issue because I have lost files in the past and it is heartbreaking after hours and hours of work. I was never able to find them again for some reason. I am not sure how they got deleted. It must’ve been user error on my part although I would never have purposely deleted them!

Reply #8
Have you tried using a program like recuva?
Since 1998

Reply #9
No, I haven't. Is there a time limit on how long ago the files were deleted? I don't know when it happened; when I went to retrieve them, they were missing.

Reply #10
It's not a matter of time but of how much the filesystem is used.
When you "delete" a file the file is still there, but that space is marked as "free".
As long as the operating system doesn't decide of reusing that space you can recover your data.

Reply #11
I finally got up the nerve to try recuva on my computer where the files were deleted by accident. I wasn't able to find anything under the name of the file, and I found the program results kind of difficult to interpret. It's disappointing to think the files are gone.