Skip to main content
Topic: Midi (as is) to .wav (Read 3013 times) previous topic - next topic

Midi (as is) to .wav

Hi everyone, I know this has been brought up here in the past but I couldn't find the exact answers I was looking for.

OK. I'm using NoteWorthy Composer 2 which I bought last year. I want to convert the midi files to wav or mp3 (it doesn't really matter because I can always convert to mp3 on another program that I have) but without changing the actual sound. I downloaded the sound font SGM V2.01 (free) and that's what I want to hear when I convert the midi. I just want that as wav or mp3.

I've tried all kinds of sites/programs (trials or free) which haven't worked out for me, sites like:
SynthFont
Audacity
Conversion Tool
Zamzar
iTunes (I couldn't add any midis at all. Nothing would show up)
Piston Software Converter
Abyssmedia Converter
Maniac Tools Converter
Switch Converter
Midi2wav Recorder
AV Midi Converter

If there's any free site or program on the web that could do that for me, without changing any of the sound, that'd be great.

I'd actually been using Solmire.com to convert my midis, which is how I found the SGM sound font which is what I want. Then I looked at the terms of service: "You can use Solmire.com for non-commercial purposes."

I'm sorry if this sounds dumb or anything, but what exactly does that mean? Does that mean you can't be paid for a gig using backing tracks generated through their site? Or something else? The files btw are my own compositions. Once I read that, I've been trying to figure out what to do ever since. It's just felt endless and so depressing :(

If I can use Solmire.com conversions as backing tracks for gigs, then I suppose I don't need to worry about any of the above (and after all the research I've done in the past two days, they still look like the best site I've ever come across.) If not, is there anything? anything at all? I would appreciate the help soo much.

I'm really enjoying NoteWorthy Composer 2.

Re: Midi (as is) to .wav

Reply #1
I use Synthfont in combination with Sinfonia36 soundfont.  But you must export to midi first before importing to Synthfont.  In combination with the soundfont (s) of your choice, you can make MP3s or WAVs with the sonority that you desire.  An analogy would be like this:  a midi file is like a music score, telling you what to sing in terms of pitch duration etc.  Your soundfont would be as if you're getting the musicians of your choice to render that score.  Like I said, for orchestral music I use Sinfonia36 soundfont.  With Synthfont, one can use different soundfonts of their own choice for the different instruments in the track.  It is really very simple to do and you can play around with different soundfonts until you get the right sound that you desire if you want to.

Reply #2
I'd actually been using Solmire.com to convert my midis, which is how I found the SGM sound font which is what I want. Then I looked at the terms of service: "You can use Solmire.com for non-commercial purposes."

I'm sorry if this sounds dumb or anything, but what exactly does that mean? Does that mean you can't be paid for a gig using backing tracks generated through their site? Or something else?
Something else, I would say. They would probably object if you set up a website charging (or profiting via ads) for conversion that simply farmed the task out to them.

I wouldn't worry out using the mp3's for a gig.

As melismata says, you ought to be able to use SynthFont.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
So am I OK to use the Solmire.com website for a gig I'm getting paid for? I would use live instruments but this is early in the day here. I'm not John Williams lol. I can't walk into a room with a whole orchestra waiting to play my music. I thought if I couldn't use that website, I would have to find a way to convert midi to wav (with the SGM sound font that I really like) without it changing anything, and after looking at now 12 websites I don't think I'm suddenly going to get lucky at this point.

Btw, I would fully support an option in NWC to save files as mp3 or wav. I think that would be excellent for all of us. But I get if that's complicated.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I AM mentioning NoteWorthy, Solmire and all these sites that have helped me in the credits for the gig. I got scared though, because I thought if I couldn't use that, or find a way to convert them as is, I didn't know what to do? Thanks for the comments again, really appreciated.

Reply #4
Btw, I would fully support an option in NWC to save files as mp3 or wav. I think that would be excellent for all of us. But I get if that's complicated.
It is. The complication is that it would require external libraries that would need licences to be added to a comercial product (NoteWorthy).

I AM mentioning <snip> all these sites that have helped me in the credits for the gig.
Credit who you like. I used NoteWorthy for years to produce wedding music that I and others performed for profit. I didn't credit anything. IMO, crediting those who don't ask for it is asking for trouble that you do not need.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
I use Solmire regularly - great site. I'm no attorney, but I do have some experience with copyrights. I suspect that you can use the mp3s you produce from Solmire to back yourself up at gigs with no problem. You MIGHT have a problem if you produced a commercial product for sale (CD or mp3 for download) using an mp3 made on the site. You would PROBABLY have a problem if the commercial product became a hit and made you a pile of money - in that case, the programmer behind Solmire would want his or her cut. He or she would have to prove that you used the product, though - which might or might not be difficult, depending on whether the site digitally signs the mp3s it creates.

My experience, FWIW, is that rights holders don't normally care if little guys use their stuff, as long as there is attribution. If you get big, they want a piece of the action. Back at the turn of the century I was leading a Celtic band that was preparing to release a local-market CD. We wanted to include a well-known song by a well-known Canadian folk singer, Stan Rogers. I wrote to Stan's widow and received a nice reply, the essence of which was that she'd like a copy of the CD if we went ahead and made it, but we wouldn't have to send her any money for using the song unless we actually made a fair amount of cash from it. We never made the CD, so I don't know what a fair amount would have been. But you get the idea.

Reply #6
mh,

I am now talking for earlier versions of NoteworthyComposer, but I think this is still true today: NWC files and midi files don't convert perfectly into each others' format.

"Normal" stuff doesn't give differences, but if you use Fermata's, (some) multipoint controllers, or sound related "User Objects", your midi file will probably sound differently.

Since I found a way to let NWC play a score through soundfonts (multiple conversations and suggestions can be found in this forum), I now just record what Noteworthy Composer plays. I use audacity - but there are other alternatives of course. Just be sure to mute pings for incoming mails and other events.

Bart

Reply #7
Try putting "convert midi to wave" in your search engine.
Since 1998