Skip to main content
Topic: "Force system break" appearance - feature request? (Read 2712 times) previous topic - next topic

"Force system break" appearance - feature request?

I'd like a new option, when forcing a system break on a bar line, to do so either with or without extending the previous system to the end of the line.

If I have a piece in more than one section (e.g. movements in a suite), or a number of snippets (e.g. choral responses), then each line often should not be extended to the page width - to do so makes it unreadable if it is just a few bars (measures).

I don't think this is possible at present.  Does anyone know a workaround?

This feature would be comparable with the page setup option "extend last system" - i.e. it could be called "extend previous system" (currently the default behaviour) and should be a check-box applicable when setting "force system break" on a bar line.

My requirements might not be typical of course.  But this would be really useful for me.  Currently I have to have separate song files for each snippet or section in a piece of music to achieve the printed appearance I want.

Re: "Force system break" appearance - feature request?

Reply #1
You can try 'Insert/Boundary Change/Gap the staff' just before the last bar line before the system break, insert an extra bar line before the gap and make the original invisible.
Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #2
I've got this problem as well, but Opagust's suggestion doesn't work for me. Has anyone found a way to do this? Failing that, can it be a future change along the lines suggested by SimonJShaw?

Thanks.

Reply #3
Has anyone found a way to do this? Failing that, can it be a future change along the lines suggested by SimonJShaw?
Boundary Gaps and Transparent Bars. Attached is a 300dpi scan of a hymnal response, NWC 2.75 song, and 600dpi PDF of the result.
Registered user since 1996