Skip to main content
Topic: Minor anomaly: extra note spacing with whole notes (Read 3368 times) previous topic - next topic

Minor anomaly: extra note spacing with whole notes

I am creating "practice scores" for our choir, in which each voice is on its own staff. Since the soprano/alto and tenor/bass parts each share a staff in the printed score, I am layering them so they will have the same appearance as the printed music.  I've noticed that when Extra Note Spacing is applied to a whole note, it appears to only add enough spacing for a regular notehead, so the resulting notes overlap a bit more than they should. Please see the following clip for an example of this. The top staff shows a chord with the two notes, which correctly compensates for the whole note widths. The notes on layered staves are a bit too close together.

I know of available workarounds (e.g. including a separate layer with the chorded notes) but I am presenting this as something that might be handled better in a future version of NWC (i.e. one that allows fractional extra note spacing values).

Thanks,
Mike

Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.75)
|Editor|ActiveStaff:1|CaretIndex:1|CaretPos:0
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:12|BoundaryBottom:12|Lines:5|Color:Default
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|Chord|Dur:Whole|Pos:-3,-2
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff-1"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:10|BoundaryBottom:10|Lines:5|WithNextStaff:Layer|Color:Default
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-3
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff-2"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:10|BoundaryBottom:10|Lines:5|Color:Default
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Down,XNoteSpace=1
!NoteWorthyComposer-End

Re: Minor anomaly: extra note spacing with whole notes

Reply #1
I've noticed that when Extra Note Spacing is applied to a whole note, it appears to only add enough spacing for a regular notehead, so the resulting notes overlap a bit more than they should.
IMO, NWC would be improved if Extra Note Spacing and Extra Accidental Spacing were not restricted to integers.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
IMO, NWC would be improved if Extra Note Spacing and Extra Accidental Spacing were not restricted to integers.

I agree. This would be quite an improvement.

Bill D.

Reply #3
I see what you mean (checked with version 2.51a), but I can live with that.
Worse it becomes when one needs dotted notes in layered staves.
Just add a dot or a double dot in each of the staves in the above example, and it will be clear that then the score becomes hardly readable.
There is no way to move the dot to the right for x positions, isn't there?

Bart

Reply #4
There is no way to move the dot to the right for x positions, isn't there?
No. That situation can be handled with:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.75)
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)
|StaffInstrument|Name:"Violin"|Patch:40
|TimeSig|Signature:3/2
|Chord|Dur:Whole,Dotted|Pos:-3,-2
|Bar
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff-1"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)|BoundaryTop:10|BoundaryBottom:10|WithNextStaff:Layer
|StaffProperties|Channel:2
|Note|Dur:4th,Grace|Pos:-3^|Opts:Muted|Visibility:Never
|Chord|Dur:Whole,Dotted|Pos:-3,-2
|Bar
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff-2"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)|BoundaryTop:10|BoundaryBottom:10
|StaffProperties|Channel:3
|Note|Dur:Whole,Dotted|Pos:-3|Visibility:Never
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposer-End

Reply #5
IThere is no way to move the dot to the right for x positions, isn't there?

Four years ago, I posted a suggestion that it would be useful to be able to have moveable dots for use in situations such as this.
A number of people supported this but Rick was the only dissenter.
He wrote :
We will disagree, but I see nothing in the topic so far to convince me that 'Extra Dot Spacing' would be a useful feature.

So it is a bit surprising to see a "Rick workaround" to cover this situation.

However, he did add

Off topic, but had you asked for opinions on non-integral 'Extra Note Spacing', I would heartily concur and add that non-integral 'Extra Dot Spacing' would be a necessary addition.

FWIW, I still believe  that an option to move an augmentation dot or dots would be an extremely useful facility for Noteworthy users even if Note spacing remains integral (which I hope it doesn't).

Rich.

Reply #6
it is a bit surprising to see a "Rick workaround" to cover this situation.
It shouldn't be surprising. Many of my replies feature workarounds. Folks want to do things. I try to help.