Skip to main content
Topic: Possible bug with Wing Dings font? (Read 3270 times) previous topic - next topic

Possible bug with Wing Dings font?

I just love using Wing Dings font!

However, I just discovered that with the  Marcato sign, it works well only when the note stem points downwards.  It does not work well when the note stem is pointing upwards.

Is there a workaround?  (Mind you, I can live with it!)

Thank you

Re: Possible bug with Wing Dings font?

Reply #1
So, if I might ask a (potentially) stupid question: why are you using the Dings font for drawing a marcato symbol? (As opposed to just using the built-in marcato.)  Are you running an older version of NWC that doesn't have marcato?

Reply #2
So, if I might ask a (potentially) stupid question: why are you using the Dings font for drawing a marcato symbol? (As opposed to just using the built-in marcato.)  Are you running an older version of NWC that doesn't have marcato?

But I AM using the "built in" marcato, Mike!  But with the Dings font as the default font, the in built marcato font shows this anomaly.  Essentially, why should something work differently when used on adjacent notes with the stems in opposite direction?  (BTW I am running that latest version of NWC 2.75a.2 but not the more recent beta version)

Reply #3
I'd say that you cannot use the WingDings font as the default "Staff Metrics/Notation Typeface" font - that font must be an "NWC" font like NWC2STDA or NWC2SwingDings - do you mean the latter? But with that, at least for me all is fine - see attached image (made after pressing F11 to see the rough print result; the second bar has"Use stem for articulations" set at all notes).

H.M.

Reply #4
You're right.  My mistake (is spelling) as I was actually using SWING Dings font.    :-[  :-[  :-[   Apologies.

I will have a go with your suggestion.  Thanks.

Reply #5
But I AM using the "built in" marcato, Mike!  But with the Dings font as the default font, the in built marcato font shows this anomaly.  Essentially, why should something work differently when used on adjacent notes with the stems in opposite direction?  (BTW I am running that latest version of NWC 2.75a.2 but not the more recent beta version)
I told you it was a stupid question :)

And I see from @hmmueller's reply that the marcato should work with either stem direction. So I'm not sure what is causing the boxes around your notes. Can you post a score that is doing this?

Reply #6
But with that, at least for me all is fine - see attached image (made after pressing F11 to see the rough print result; the second bar has"Use stem for articulations" set at all notes).

Yes, it worked. 

Thank you for the hint.

H.M.

Reply #7
Hey Melismata,
can you do me a favour please?  Given I created the font you're referring to I am a bit concerned you're having any kind of problem with it.

Note that there are 2 characters used for the Marcato symbol, depending on stem orientation.  Your original sample above suggests that the downward version of the symbol is missing from your installed font.

Could you use Windows Explorer to navigate to your C:\Windows\Fonts folder, locate the NWC2SwingDings font, and press <Enter> on it?

A dialogue should open with examples of the font PLUS, at the top of the dialogue you should see a version number.  That version should be 1.1

If it is lower than 1.1 then you have an older version that may not include all the glyphs.

The easy way to update would be to visit:
https://noteworthycomposer.com/uc/pardypack/index.htm
and download the removal and setup tools.

Close NWC, run the removal tool, then run the installer and you should be updated to the latest versions of all the suites.

OR, you could visit http://zoundz.pardyline.com.au/fontindex.html and download the V2.5 update and just delete the old and install the new NWC2*Dings system fonts.  This is a little more fiddly to do than simply using the installers above. 
N.B. if you use this method make sure you DO NOT unzip directly into the Fonts folder - this will NOT install the fonts correctly, you MUST unzip to another folder and then copy them into the Fonts folder.  Also, do NOT uninstall fonts not included in the update zip file.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
If it is lower than 1.1 then you have an older version that may not include all the glyphs.

Dear Lawry,

Thanks for the tip.  Yes, the version(s) that I was using in the pack were labelled 1.0.  I updated the pack using the remover and installer from your link above and now it works like it should.  Took me just three minutes flat to sort out!

Thank you all for your input and apologies for originally missing the "S" in the font name as it threw people off the track.

melismata

Reply #9
Lawrie, I decided to update too. 

The removal routine has been running about 15 minutes and its green status bar shows it has only completed about 10% of the removal.  There is a popup saying "Invalid file handle 32"  This supposedly indicates a font is in use, but no NWC files nor NWC itself were open.

Hmm. Each time I click its OK button, the green bar shows more progress.  Funny. 

And now it's completed. 

Let's try the Setup.
The same error message pops up but again it was only a matter of clicking the OK button several times to complete the intallation.

Looking into new file Page Setup and your fonts are present, so I guess it worked.  Many thanks.

Reply #10
I wanted to add a general note here, that recent full installers for NWC (version 2.75a.2 at least) have the latest versions of Lawrie's fonts built-in.  I'm not certain whether the upgrade installers for NWC will also upgrade these fonts, but if you ran the full installer, you shouldn't need to use the tools that Lawrie is referring to.

Reply #11
Hey Mike,
I don't know for certain, but perhaps the installer checks to see if the fonts are there and skips them if they are?

I know other things get skipped in the upgrade installer if they're already there.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.