Skip to main content
Topic: Sull'arco and Giu arco (Read 3222 times) previous topic - next topic

Sull'arco and Giu arco

I've noticed on string quartet scores there are little marks above some notes that I had to look up to understand their meaning.  There is a Sull'arco symbol which looks like a small 'v' and indicates an up bow movement, and a Giu arco symbol which looks like an upside down non-rounded U and indicates a down bow movement.  I haven't been able to find anything in NWC to duplicate this.  For playback purposes it's probably unnecessary but, are there such symbols in NWC?

Re: Sull'arco and Giu arco

Reply #1
The symbols you mention are present in the NWC staff symbols font. Here is an example:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.751,Single)
|Text|Text:""|Font:StaffSymbols|Pos:7|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:2
|Text|Text:""|Font:StaffSymbols|Pos:7|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Reply #2
The symbols you mention are present in the NWC staff symbols font. Here is an example:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.751,Single)
|Text|Text:""|Font:StaffSymbols|Pos:7|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Text|Text:""|Font:StaffSymbols|Pos:7|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

They're also in my *Dings font suites
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
For the records: the right spelling is "Su l'arco" (bow up) and "Giù l'arco" (bow down).

Reply #4
Those same symbals are used in organ music for the pedals to indicate using your heel or toe for a specific note.
Since 1998

Reply #5
Those same symbals are used in organ music for the pedals to indicate using your heel or toe for a specific note.
... but there are also other notations for this - for heel, we mostly use a rounded U (like the mathematical "union" sign) hereabouts. And in some notation variants, there are more complex symbols, e.g. for "change from toe to heel on this note."

H.M.

Reply #6
Wow!  You gentlemen are a font (pun intended) of knowledge and each time I've asked I've come away enlightened.  Thank you!  :))  :))