Skip to main content
Topic: No MIDI Devices Listed -- New Windows 10 Laptop (Read 4236 times) previous topic - next topic

No MIDI Devices Listed -- New Windows 10 Laptop

I have just purchased a Windows 10 ASUS VivoBook and am having troubles getting playback sound.  I have the latest version of NWC.

When I open up the Tools → Options → MIDI dialogue, there are no devices listed -- the boxes are empty.

I've tried troubleshooting the hardware and the program with Windows Troubleshooter, but it doesn't find anything wrong.  Looked at downloading MIDI drivers, but that looks confusing and risky.

When I try playing a MIDI file in WMP, it suggests that there "might not be a sound device installed..."  When I try VLC, I get the following:

MIDI synthesis not set up:
A sound font file (.SF2) is required for MIDI synthesis.
Please install a sound font and configure it from the VLC preferences (Input / Codecs > Audio codecs > FluidSynth).

Codec not supported:
VLC could not decode the format "MIDI" (MIDI Audio)

Other sound and video files work fine.

Has anyone else had this problem or worked out a solution?  Any ideas I can try?  Any recommendations for MIDI drivers to download?

Re: No MIDI Devices Listed -- New Windows 10 Laptop

Reply #1
Unfortunately, I do not have a solution "ouf of the box" for you. What I would try as a first step, is to install a "virtual MIDI cable" - I use LoopMIDI, but there is also LoopBe (other, older ones like MidiOx seem to have their own problems with Win10).

Install it, set up a MIDI connection in it (in LoopMIDI, it's the small + button at the left lower corner), restart the computer and check whether the ports are visible in NWC's MIDI tab. If yes, NWC and the "MIDI logic" works fine, and there's a problem that there is no "MIDI synthesizer" (Windows Media Player does set up one, I thought - but some questions on the internet make me doubt that); or it's a problem with drivers (but that's not my first guess). If no, ... mhm ... I don't really know what that would mean.

Next, you could install a DAW like Reaper, some virtual instrument like sfz player and some soundfont like the Fluid R3 GM one, and find out whether
(a) the MIDI signal gets from NWC to the DAW (the DAW will show some flashing when MIDI events arrive on some channel);
(b) the DAW generates sounds (some other bar will flash);
(c) the sound actually can be heard (some low-level driver moves the sound signal to some speaker output).
But all this is a pain, I admit ...

Edit: Maybe this discussion thread helps (especially the answers by "LBH").

Edit 2: ... or this one!! (I did not read it).

H.M.

Reply #2
Thanks so much for this!  I installed LoopMIDI, added a connection, rebooted, opened up NWC, and MS GS Wavetable Synth was an option in the MIDI setup window.  Seems it just needed something to kick-start it.

Also, as an aside, WMP will now play .mid files, and my KaraFun now has sound with karaoke files.  VLC's still complaining, but I'll sort that out later (maybe with a reinstall).

Thanks again.

(new project -- see what else I can use LoopMIDI for :D )

Reply #3
Great - although we both don't really know what made it work, do we? :D

Good luck, also with "new project"!

H.M.

Reply #4
Gosh, that's old school!
The latest NWC has built-in the viewer (File -> send to built-in viewer) and the viewer has Bass (a soft synth) built-in.
You must select a soundfont (I think one is included, but I don't remember exactly. Anyway, on internet you can find many, many much better than the old Roland samples of the archaic "MS GS Wavetable Synth") and then it's done.
Sorry, but months are passed since I installed NWC on my brand new computer with, alas, Win10.  ::)

Reply #5
Gosh - who still uses soundfonts? - they are so last-century  ;) ...
... and, AFAIK, the player can only handle one MIDI device - what do you do when you need 20 or so instruments?
But of course, if one can live with these limitations, then why not?!

H.M.

Reply #6
The latest NWC has built-in the viewer (File -> send to built-in viewer) and the viewer has Bass (a soft synth) built-in.

Which version is the one with the built-in viewer?
I have version 2.75a.2 and get the message that it is the latest version (when I click on help -> access noteworthycomposer.com).
But I don't see the option "send to built-in viewer" in the File menu of this latest "stable" version.
Is it only available in new, yet unreleased versions?

Bart.

Reply #7
Hi Bert - It's in the current beta.  I don't remember if it's in 2.75a2 but from what you wrote I guess not.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
Thank you, Lawry.

I just installed the beta version and, indeed, there is the new option.  ::)

Bart

Reply #9
You mean last millennium, do you?  :))

Reply #10

Umm, me...  O:)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #11
And me, of course :D - being last-millenium, yes; but actually because they are quite easy to use. However, what Kontakt can do with is programmatic concept is more "21st century". In the end, of course, it depends only on the purpose of the created sound renditions ...

H.M.