Skip to main content
Topic: Using accompaniment with a capella passages. (Read 2419 times) previous topic - next topic

Using accompaniment with a capella passages.

This is my first test using short rests in unaccompanied passages to let the soloist know when to come in.

I know, I shouldda practiced this a lot more.

Thias Test
Since 1998

Re: Using accompaniment with a capella passages.

Reply #1
This is my first test using short rests in unaccompanied passages to let the soloist know when to come in.
Sorry, Warren, but I miss the point.
Isn't obvious when the piano stops playing by looking at its empty staves?
And, in case you have only your part and not the full score, why add another staff just to show the small rests and not putting a simple mark when the piano stops?

Reply #2
Sorry, Warren, but I miss the point.
Isn't obvious when the piano stops playing by looking at its empty staves?
And, in case you have only your part and not the full score, why add another staff just to show the small rests and not putting a simple mark when the piano stops?
The piano is going to come in at a specific time and I need to start the next phrase when that happens.  If I was playing something that ended without accompaniment, that wouldn't be a problem.
Since 1998

Reply #3
Sorry, Warren, but I still don't understand.
I do things like that very often when I play flute with my daughter at the harp and we never had problem.
In case of a particularly difficult cadenza then we simply look at each other to be in synch, nothing more.

Reply #4
That works  when the other musician is a real human being.  NWC is going to come in at a specific time and I have to be ready for it.  With a human at the piano it is easy to make eye contact, nod your head, or use the fiddle as a mini baton on the next entrance when both of us are ready. That isn't an option here.
Since 1998

Reply #5
I think I got it.
My daughter, while practicing, often plays with NWC without her part and has this kind of problem.