Skip to main content
Topic: Humanizing (Read 1601 times) previous topic - next topic

Humanizing

Hi all.  I just wanted to share something I happened upon while scoring.  We all know that we are imperfect.  Even the tightest bands can't replicate the perfection of MIDI notes.  So, if desired, you an place a 1/32nd or 1/64th grace note before a standard note or chord to replicate this imperfection.  It also gives the accompaniment a little "thickness."  I've found this to be especially pleasant with percussion parts.  Just an FYI.

Re: Humanizing

Reply #1
Hi all.  I just wanted to share something I happened upon while scoring.  We all know that we are imperfect.  Even the tightest bands can't replicate the perfection of MIDI notes.  So, if desired, you an place a 1/32nd or 1/64th grace note before a standard note or chord to replicate this imperfection.  It also gives the accompaniment a little "thickness."  I've found this to be especially pleasant with percussion parts.  Just an FYI.
"Never put off 'til tomor..... oh hell this can wait."

Re: Humanizing

Reply #2
I used to add small random variations to the tempo. I used the random number generator in a spreadsheet to generate a selection of numbers then used those to vary the tempo. Ideally every bar, but more practically every few bars. at 120 you probably want to vary it to a maximum of +/- 10 beats. I have an electronic metronome with a tempo tap in and I use that to guide me as to how much to vary it depending on the tempo. You want to be sparing with the more extreme values, though.

Geoff
Geoff Walker
Middlesbrough, UK