NoteWorthy Composer Forum

Forums => General Discussion => Topic started by: ItmightbeJB on 2018-12-30 04:33 am

Title: Humanizing
Post by: ItmightbeJB on 2018-12-30 04:33 am
Hi all.  I just wanted to share something I happened upon while scoring.  We all know that we are imperfect.  Even the tightest bands can't replicate the perfection of MIDI notes.  So, if desired, you an place a 1/32nd or 1/64th grace note before a standard note or chord to replicate this imperfection.  It also gives the accompaniment a little "thickness."  I've found this to be especially pleasant with percussion parts.  Just an FYI.
Title: Re: Humanizing
Post by: ItmightbeJB on 2018-12-30 04:35 am
Hi all.  I just wanted to share something I happened upon while scoring.  We all know that we are imperfect.  Even the tightest bands can't replicate the perfection of MIDI notes.  So, if desired, you an place a 1/32nd or 1/64th grace note before a standard note or chord to replicate this imperfection.  It also gives the accompaniment a little "thickness."  I've found this to be especially pleasant with percussion parts.  Just an FYI.
"Never put off 'til tomor..... oh hell this can wait."
Title: Re: Humanizing
Post by: Geoff Walker on 2019-01-19 08:01 pm
I used to add small random variations to the tempo. I used the random number generator in a spreadsheet to generate a selection of numbers then used those to vary the tempo. Ideally every bar, but more practically every few bars. at 120 you probably want to vary it to a maximum of +/- 10 beats. I have an electronic metronome with a tempo tap in and I use that to guide me as to how much to vary it depending on the tempo. You want to be sparing with the more extreme values, though.

Geoff