Skip to main content
Topic: Tripets - Vertical Positioning (Read 3621 times) previous topic - next topic

Tripets - Vertical Positioning

Is there a way to explicitly state that we want a triplet marker above (or below) the notes?

Most of the time NWC does a satisfactory job of picking the vertical offset for triplet markers. Occasionally, though, the marker overlays the lyrics, and I have to drastically increase the lyric offset, which introduces a lot of wasteful white space.

The attached score illustrates this issue.

Re: Tripets - Vertical Positioning

Reply #1
You can add "Markers" (Insert->Marker; or @ from the keyboard) to move slur ends or triplet symbols up and down; or make them invisible. I have added a few of them in measure 8 of your score, with some explanatory texts - see attachment. Markers are "almost invisible" while editing - there is only a small grey triangle to indicate them.

H.M.

Reply #2
Interesting! I've used NWC for over 20 years, but never knew that functionality was there.

I see it in the online help (now that I know to look under Markers), but I don't find it in the PDF user guide. Oh well, something for the next user guide edition.

Reply #3
Interesting! I've used NWC for over 20 years, but never knew that functionality was there.

I see it in the online help (now that I know to look under Markers), but I don't find it in the PDF user guide. Oh well, something for the next user guide edition.
The marker object is a relatively new addition, as of version 2.75.  There are a number of other new features that are not in the current user guide, such as courtesy accidentals, and custom objects are only briefly mentioned. The forums are a good source of this information.

Reply #4
The marker is a great tool. I have been frustrated by out-of-control triplets for years.

Cyberhymnal, thanks for the work that you have put into your website. It is a resource that I always check when I start arranging a new sacred piece. It saves me some time. (What would really save me more time would be if the melody was always available alone without harmonization!)

Reply #5
Thanks for the kind words. We've thought about it before, but unfortunately we don't have the manpower to support  the extra functionality. As an aside, be sure you're access the real web site  at http://www.hymntime.com/tch,  & not the pirate site at cyberhymnal.org.

God bless,

Dick Adams