Skip to main content
Topic: Chord Symbols - Part Deux (Read 3263 times) previous topic - next topic

Chord Symbols - Part Deux

Can the default size of the chord symbols be set prior to their insertion so you don't have to go back and edit them one by one?

Re: Chord Symbols - Part Deux

Reply #1
It looks like my question might have fallen through the cracks.  The question above was about setting a different default size for chord symbols.  I want them to be bigger but I don't want to have to go back and edit their size one symbol at a time.  So my question is quite a simple one;  CAN THE DEFAULT GUITAR CHORD DIAGRAM SIZE BE SET TO A DIFFERENT SIZE? 
[/color][/b]

Reply #2
I haven't tested it, but a quick look at the code suggests this line:
{ id='Size', label='Chart Size', type='float', default=1, min=0.5, max=5, step=.5 },
contained in C:\ProgramData\Noteworthy Software\nwc2\UserPlugins\GuitarChord.ms.nwcuser.lua
is what dictates the default.

If you edit the file and change "default=1" to "default=(whatever you want here)" it would probably work

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
I would have answered earlier, but I wasn't sure if you were talking about ChordPlay.nw or GuitarChord.ms.

What @Lawrie Pardy says is correct, but there is an easier way. Insert and size your first chord chart in your score, and then when you add new ones, they should inherit the size and position of the previously inserted one. This assumes you are adding them from left to right in your score.

Alternately, if you have already added a bunch of them and you want to resize or reposition them all at once, it's easy to do, by doing Filtered Properties on a selection. I don't have time to include an example right now (have to leave for an appointment shortly) but if someone else doesn't beat me to it, I'll post an example later today.

Re: Chord Symbols - Part Deux - using Filtered Properties

Reply #4
Following is a quick tutorial on how to use Filtered Properties to make changes to multiple custom objects in a score at the same time.  Please note that I realize there is a Global Modification user tool that can do this (and much more), but I wanted to present this example based on the built-in facility.

For this example, we will take the sample score "Anchors Aweigh", which has numerous GuitarChord.ms objects, and change all of the chord sizes from their current size of 2 to 2.5.

First, open the sample score in question. Note that the guitar chord objects are all in the top staff.  Now, put the cursor in the top staff and select all of the items in that staff. You can do this via Edit > Select All.

Now, choose Edit -> Filtered Properties, or press Ctrl-F3. This will open an empty Filter Expression dialog. Filtered properties allows you to change the properties of multiple items at once by choosing items which match a pattern.  Click the "dice" button ( with the :: label) and choose the last item in the list, which is "User Object". This will populate the following pattern in the box:
|User|*
This would allow all user objects to be modified at once, but we only want to update GuitarChord.ms objects, so edit the pattern to read as follows:
|User|GuitarChord.ms
Notice that the text under the box should now say "66 of 315". This means that there are 315 individual NWC items in the selection, and that 66 of them match the pattern (i.e. are GuitarChord.ms objects)

Now press the Next> button.  This will open the User object properties box. You will notice that some properties are filled in, including the name, position, class, style and chart size, while many of the other properties (chord name, fingerings, etc.) are blank.
 The properties that are filled in are the same for all GuitarChord.ms objects, and the ones that are blank have different values for the various objects.

To change the chart size for all of the chords from 2 to 2.5, just edit the Chart Size box to say 2.5, and click OK.  Be careful not to type anything into a blank box that you don't want changed! Entering anything in a blank box will change the property of all chords to that new value.  Anyway, after clicking OK, you should see the size update for all of the chord charts.

I would recommend experimenting with this on a sample score before you use it on something real, to get the hang of it. Note that you can do an "undo" (Ctrl-Z) if you don't like how it turned out.

Reply #5
Thank you.