Skip to main content
Topic: How to erase text above the staff (Read 2103 times) previous topic - next topic

How to erase text above the staff

I have some older files which I have opened in the newer version of NWC where I have written just a letter-name of a chord (G or Em) above the staff.  They easily are removed by putting the cursor in front of the letter (at the correct height) and using the backspace.  Newer files, however show an anchor icon in front of every letter which I can't seem to get rid of, and when I try to erase (backspace, delete...you name it, I've tried it) it only erases the music below and not the text.  How do I get rid of this anchor?  Thanks in advance.

Clarification....I understand when I hit the little sunglasses the anchor icon "disappears".....I'm not asking how to make it invisible....I'm asking to get rid of the instruction that goes with it that seems to prevent me from erasing anything up above the staff.  The anchor is obviously some kind of safety or preventative option.

Re: How to erase text above the staff

Reply #1
The anchor is only a marker to hold where the text is.
If you delete the anchor, you delete the text it marks.

To change the anchor size (or indeed its display), go to Tools / Options / Editor and play around with
"My Expression anchor size" and "Object Anchor size".

Placing a tick in the "My Expression anchor size" will remove the anchor and then display an arrow against the text.

Rich.

Reply #2
The anchor is just an annoying presence I just wish weren't there.....what I'm really trying to do is erase the text-letter (chord name) I placed there.  I have moved the cursor up and down the edge of the letter, front and back and tried to delete it from a number of possible positions "on or near" the letter and anchor and nothing works....it just keeps erasing the notes down below it.  When you try to highlight the letter, it highlights the entire vertical strip from the letter down through the measure below.  How do I isolate the text-letter I inserted.  Example...i want to change the chord from G to C....I seem to not be able to erase the G at all.  I've tried the delete and backspace buttons.  It used to be very simple in 2.5.5

Reply #3
The anchor is the chord name. Select the anchor  and press delete to get rid of it. Or
Select the anchor and press alt and enter to change the text.

Rich.

Reply #4
As Rich mentioned earlier, under Tools -> Options, on the Editor tab, there is a checkbox labeled My Expression Anchor, that by default is unchecked. If you check it, the anchor will be replaced by an arrow icon, which has the added benefit that it changes shape when you have set the Justification on your object to Left, Center or Right. I find this a handy way of telling what alignment I have set for an object, without having to view its properties. Also, the arrows are smaller than the anchor, and can be adjusted in size also.

Reply #5
The anchor is just an annoying presence I just wish weren't there.....what I'm really trying to do is erase the text-letter (chord name) I placed there.  I have moved the cursor up and down the edge of the letter, front and back and tried to delete it from a number of possible positions "on or near" the letter and anchor and nothing works....it just keeps erasing the notes down below it.  When you try to highlight the letter, it highlights the entire vertical strip from the letter down through the measure below.  How do I isolate the text-letter I inserted.  Example...i want to change the chord from G to C....I seem to not be able to erase the G at all.  I've tried the delete and backspace buttons.  It used to be very simple in 2.5.5

To delete the text, highlight its anchor and press delete. The easiest way is to place your cursor just before or after the anchor, select it with {shift} and the {left or right arrow} to highlight it, and press {Delete}.

If you have several, you must select them individually, but finding them can be automated using Find.  Go to the beginning of the staff,  press {Ctrl}{F} for Find, ensure your cursor is in the Find What box, and use the down arrow to select *text

Pressing {Enter} will select the first text anchor on the staff, showing a vertical line there that extends from the bottom to the top of the staff boundary  (the vertical line does not touch any notes or rests or bar lines.)  If you want to delete that anchor, just press delete, and the chord name will disappear.  To find the next text entry, press {F3}, delete that one or not, and {F3} again to find the next one. Be careful not to delete the anchors for any text you don't want to remove.