Skip to main content
Topic: Transposing (Read 3037 times) previous topic - next topic

Transposing

I Am trying to transpose a piece of music from C for an Eb instrument  ? I wrote the first staff in C then added a new staff and copied the first staff to the 2nd staff to transpose One problem is when I play both staffs in C I get 2 different tones even though they are in the same key.. when I transpose the 2nd staff to "A" it comes up with 3 sharp but at the lower tone of the 2nd staff What am I doing wrong

Re: Transposing

Reply #1
<snip> What am I doing wrong
I'm not exactly certain, but here's some things to check...

• If the original staff was in "C" did you place a key signature (C key sig shows a hidden natural on the F line)
  • Assuming 1 is correct, did you copy the key sig when you copied the staff to the new one?
  • Assuming 2 is correct did you have "Update playback transposition" ticked when you did the transposition (<Alt+T>, T)
  • Assuming 3 is correct did you already have a transposition set (in the instrument tab of the staff properties) on the destination staff?
  • Assuming 4 is NOT correct (there should have been NO initial transposition) did you transpose the correct number of semitones (9 up or 3 down (3 down gives an octave shift)

That's all I can think of at the moment...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Steps1 & 2 are correct Of two 2 tones how can I chose the correct one  I created 2 new staffs and wrote the birthday song " happy birthday to you" both in the key of A and the separation still exist ???

Reply #3
Rikbel:
 One problem is when I play both staffs in C I get 2 different tones even though they are in the same key.

Larry's suggestion about updating staff transposition is the likeliest solution.

If not, your description suggests the problem existed before you transposed the second staff.  Check the settings in the midi and instrument tabs with [F2] ("staff properties") for both staffs before transposing the second one.  They should be the same.

As to octave, if your Eb instrument is an alto sax, you should transpose UP nine semitones rather than down three to get the right octave.  If it's a bari sax, you need to go up twenty-one semitones (in two stages, twelve and nine).

Reply #4
Steps1 & 2 are correct Of two 2 tones how can I chose the correct one  I created 2 new staffs and wrote the birthday song " happy birthday to you" both in the key of A and the separation still exist ???
If you have 2 IDENTICAL staves, BOTH in "A" and the playback of each staff is different to the other then I can only suggest the "Playback Transposition" of at least one of them is wrong.  Check the "Instrument" tab of the properties of both staves.  Until you actually do a transposition, the playback transposition of both should be 0.

Once a transposition is done, the playback transposition of the transposed staff should be the OPPOSITE of the transposition performed.
E.G. if you transposed UP 9 semitones [+9] (for an Alto sax, say) then the playback transposition should be -9, that being the difference between the transposed key and the original concert key.

Reply #5
If you're still not sure what's going on, why not post the "Happy Birthday" file for us to look at?

Reply #6
Problem solved 
It was in the transposing setting in instrument change  I want to thank each of you gentlemen for your help
Dick

Reply #7
Happy to help!